How to make super easy Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken. A simple, homemade bbq sauce simmers with chicken breasts and thighs for these easy BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches.
If you love to break out that slow cooker, you also need to try these Italian Beef Sandwiches or Slow Cooker Cuban Ropa Vieja.
I always laugh when people think that my kids eat everything that I make. While I strive to make everything family friendly, my kids are just so darned picky that it’s pretty hard to find something that everyone will eat. They don’t tend to love anything overly spiced or super bold.
This is one of the reasons I love this Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken so much. It is delicious, but still mild enough for any child – even the picky ones.
I know a lot of people throw some chicken into the slow cooker and cover it with a bottle of store bought barbecue sauce. This recipe might take 7 minutes longer than that, but it is so worth it.
And really – I keep all of these ingredients on hand, anyway, so why not make it from scratch when you can adjust things to your liking?
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
This is such an easy, homemade bbq sauce, and the flavor is amazing. Here is what you’ll need:
- Lemon Juice:
- Brown Sugar:
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Cider Vinegar
- Dry Mustard Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
What Kind of Chicken to Use for Pulled Chicken
I have mentioned before that I often struggle with the texture of meat made in the slow cooker – especially chicken. Boneless skinless chicken breasts tend to have a weird texture to me when they are cooked in the crock pot. I will often just use chicken thighs, but I love that this recipe has a mixture of chicken breasts and chicken thighs. The extra fattiness from the thighs is really needed here, and makes a pulled chicken recipe that is just perfect.
I use half chicken breasts and half chicken thighs. You could, of course, use all of one or the other, but I think the texture you get from using the combination is the best.
We like to eat this pulled chicken on hamburger buns. My kids like to keep it simple (just the chicken and the buns), but I also like to sometimes add some coleslaw.
But you can’t forget the side dish!
Here are some of my favorite recipes that you could serve alongside this slow cooker bbq chicken:
- Potato Chips
- Scalloped Corn and Broccoli
- Broccoli Salad
- Baked French Fries
- Artichoke Pasta Salad
- Potato Salad Recipe with Corn and Poblanos
- Crown Ruby Fruit Salad
- Easy Baked Beans with Bacon
If you have leftover chicken, store it in the refrigerator in a covered container.
You can also freeze the leftovers. Transfer the cooled chicken to freezer safe bags or containers, and store in the freezer for up to 4 months.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Frito Casserole
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
Tools Used to Make this Crock Pot Pulled Chicken
My slow cooker is similar to this one. I love that it has a medium heat setting – a great compromise when you need to cook it a little hotter, but high is too much.
The easiest way to get the chicken from the crock pot to your sandwich is with a pair of tongs.
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Crock Pot Pulled Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
How to make super easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken. A simple, homemade bbq sauce simmers with chicken breasts and thighs for these easy BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 hamburger buns
- In a medium saucepan, make the bbq sauce. Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add the ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, dry mustard, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place both the chicken breasts and the chicken thighs in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the bbq sauce over the top, then gently stir to coat the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until cooked through.
- When the chicken is cooked, use 2 forks to shred the chicken right in the slow cooker. Stir to combine completely with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for an additional hour.
- Serve the chicken on the hamburger buns.
- Calories: 409
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 1051 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 120 mg
Keywords: Crock Pot Pulled Chicken
Leave a Comment...