Look no further for an easy slow cooker dinner recipe! This Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Frito Casserole comes together quickly and you can never go wrong when there are Fritos involved!
I feel like I go in phases when it comes to using my slow cooker. Well, I think right now, I’m in a slow cooker phase. Mostly because it makes my life that much easier. Sundays are definitely easier, since church is in the middle of the day. And then getting home and not having to worry about making a big dinner? Priceless.
Our church has also been helping out most days when we have clinic for Easton, but on the days that they don’t have a dinner planned, using the slow cooker has saved my sanity. We never really know just how long we’ll be at the hospital, so it has been a life saver to have something going in the slow cooker and not having to worry about cooking dinner when I get home – especially when we are at the hospital longer than expected.
I’m not much of a chip eater, but every time I come across a recipe that uses Fritos, I just have to make it. There is just something about adding them to a recipe that I can get behind pretty much every single time. I don’t know if it’s the crunch or the flavor, but I just love it!!
So I was totally intrigued by this Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Frito Casserole. I just had to try it.
This recipe is so insanely easy. This recipe is practically dump and cook, so it’s perfect for mornings when you just don’t have a lot of time. And the Fritos play 2 parts in this slow cooker recipe. First, they help to thicken up the casserole. And then you add more to the top to add that crunch. This Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Frito Casserole is a must make for your next slow cooker night!
Look no further for an easy slow cooker dinner recipe! This Slow Cooker Chicken and Frito Casserole comes together quickly and you can never go wrong when there are Fritos involved!
- 2 10 oz ea cans Ro-tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (, trimmed)
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups Fritos corn chips (crushed into coarse crumbs, divided)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend*
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
- sour cream, sliced green onions, jalapeños, additional cilantro – for serving, optional
- Combine the tomatoes, black beans, tapioca and cumin in the bottom of a 5 1/2 – 7 quart slow cooker. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, then nestle it into the tomato mixture. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly before cutting into bite sized pieces. Stir 1 cup of the crushed Fritos into the slow cooker along with 1 cup of the cheese, the corn and the cilantro. Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Sprinkle the remaining Fritos and cheese over the top, then cover and cook on high until the cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve topped with your desired toppings.
*I used packaged shredded cheese, but would do a combination of freshly grated cheddar and monterey jack cheese next time, as the pre shredded cheese doesn’t melt very easily
More Frito Love:
Around the Web:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!