Start your morning with this breakfast bowl to top all breakfast bowls! Filling and full of flavor, this Southwestern Breakfast Bowl is the perfect breakfast.
I have talked before about how I used to be a morning person. Until I had kids. Thinking about it, it should be the other way around, but instead of going to bed early and waking up happily when my kids get up (way too) early in the morning, I stay up too late and then am cranky in the mornings. So I will admit that the kids have cereal more than they really should.
But then, my sugar-loving, sweet toothed son changed his tune. Now, he does not ask for sugar for every meal. It’s eggs, eggs, and more eggs. So now I am trying to step up my morning breakfast game.
Now, I’ll make eggs every morning – no problem. But the same scrambled eggs every morning can start to get boring. And if you’re going to have breakfast, you might as well have breakfast. Am I right? Because just eggs? Your morning deserves more than that.
Enter the breakfast bowl. I am loving this idea right now. You mostly see sweet breakfast bowls, but if you are looking for a hearty, filling breakfast, turn to the savory breakfast bowl. All of the goodness of breakfast in one bowl, so all of the components get mixed up and it’s deliciousness in each bite.
I decided to give this breakfast bowl a Southwestern twist. You start by coating some potatoes in Old El Paso taco seasoning, then bake them until they are tender. This is the only step that takes a bit of time, so feel free to roast your potatoes ahead of time and then just warm them up when it’s time for breakfast.
Next up are the eggs. Now, on this step, you can change it up a bunch of ways. I love a good sunny-side up egg, and that is one way that I love my eggs in these breakfast bowls, but this time, I decided to scramble them and add in some more Old El Paso taco seasoning, as well as some Old El Paso green chiles. I love adding the seasoning and green chiles to my eggs – it gives them a whole new layer of flavor.
Top it all off with cheese, tomatoes, avocados, jalapeños – whatever your heart desires. A little hot sauce would be great as well. The sky is the limit!
If you are looking for a way to step up your mornings, this Southwestern Breakfast Bowl is your answer. I can’t think of a better way to start the day!
- 1½ lbs baby red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso Taco Seasoning, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 (4 oz) can Old El Paso diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- optional toppings: diced tomatoes, jalapeños, avocado slices, green onions, cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a bowl and coat with the olive oil. Add 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning and the ½ teaspoon salt and toss to coat. Spread into a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, green chiles, milk and remaining 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning. Whisk until the the mixture is completely combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter and melt. Add the eggs and cook, stirring gently with a spatula. Continue to cook until done, but not completely dry.
- To serve, divide the potatoes between four bowls. Top with the eggs, then sprinkle cheese over the top. Add your desired toppings and serve warm.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
I am in a working relationship with Old El Paso, and this post has been sponsored. I’m so glad to be able to work with companies and organizations that I truly believe in. Thank you for supporting them, too.