Have I told you all how much I love breakfast? Oh yeah, probably about a bazillion times. But I love breakfast. And as much as I love the sweet stuff – pancakes and waffles and cinnamon rolls – if you put an egg in front of me, it will get me every time.
Do you know what else I love? The March issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray. I love every issue, but this Tex-Mex inspired issue has so many recipes bookmarked. I think this is already the second recipe I’ve done from this issue, and I have another on the way. I seriously want to make everything in this issue!!
This breakfast idea is perfect for any Tex-Mex lover. Tortillas, jalepeno, hot sauce, all mixed in with delicious eggs – this is my kind of meal. And even though this is technically a breakfast dish, I made it up for lunch one day and it was the perfect lunch. It would make a perfect breakfast for dinner idea, too! Oh, and hey – how about a midnight snack? Ok, so you get my point – this would be perfect 24 hours a day!
What is your favorite time of day to eat breakfast foods?
Breakfast with a tex-mex flair! Eggs, tortillas, and a little bit of spice, all in an easy 1 skillet meal.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 avocado, diced and sprinkled with lime juice
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the chopped tortillas, and cook until they start to brown. Season with salt.
- Add the onion, jalepeno, garlic and cilantro. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add in the tomatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour into the skillet and scramble to your desired doneness. Top with the cheese and allow to melt slightly. Serve topped with the avocado.
- from Every Day with Rachael Ray March 2012