Enchiladas without all the work – this Beef Enchilada Casserole recipe is family friendly and done in under 30 minutes! It’s the perfect dinner for when time is short but you still want a lot of flavor.
Beef Enchilada Casserole
Originally posted September 21, 2010 – So, this is another recipe that I previously updated but am bringing to the front again. This time, because I made a video to share with all of you. This is such a great weeknight dinner – you can have it on the table in as little as 30 minutes. I love enchiladas, but don’t always love all of the rolling and the prep work that goes into them. So put this one on the menu and let it become one of your family favorites as well!
See how to make this Beef Enchilada Casserole (video):
Tips for the perfect Beef Enchilada Casserole
This recipe is super, super simple! Here are a few tips to make it the best way possible:
- If you use a ground beef with a higher percentage of fat, make sure you drain off the fat after cooking the ground beef.
- You can use any enchilada sauce that you want, but make sure it’s one that you love since the flavor will really come through. The same goes for the salsa.
- The longer you cook the beef and enchilada sauce mixture, the thicker it will be. Just make sure you don’t take it too far because you’ll need some of the moisture to soak into the tortillas.
- This casserole really reheats well, so look forward to those leftovers!
Toppings for this Beef Enchilada Casserole
You can’t forget the toppings! Here are a few things that I like to set out for people to put on their own servings.
More Tex-Mex dinner favorites:
Looking for more free recipes?
Enchiladas without all the work – this Beef Enchilada Casserole recipe is family friendly and done in under 30 minutes!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 10-oz can enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup medium thick and chunky salsa
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef, taco seasoning and salt. Cook, stirring and breaking up the beef, until the beef is browned and cooked through. Drain any fat, if needed.
- Add the enchilada sauce, water and salsa and bring to a boil. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat.
- Stack the tortillas and cut into 1-inch strips. Arrange half of the tortilla strips in the bottom of a 9-inch deep dish pie dish. Add half of the beef mixture, then sprinkle half of the cheese over the top. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the chopped cilantro on top. Repeat the layers, using the remaining tortillas, beef and then cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cilantro over the top before serving. Serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
adapted from 29 Minutes to Dinner
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts.
Counts do not include sour cream for serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 711 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 67 mg
Keywords: enchilada casserole