The ultimate cheeseburger, this Tex-Mex Bacon Cheeseburger is covered in a cheesy queso sauce, bacon, crushed corn chips and lots more!
The end of summer. I have been dreading it.
We all know I’ve been holding onto it, with things like Tomato and Basil Bakes and Peach Melba Pies. But there comes a time when you just can’t force it anymore. That first day of fall is coming, and there is no way to extend the summer.
I think I have figured out one reason why I don’t like to see the end of the summer come. It’s because it means that my birthday is near.
Growing up, birthdays are something that you get excited about. Something you look forward to. Which meant that I always looked forward to the end of the summer because that meant my birthday was near. See – my birthday is tomorrow, September 21. The last day of summer. The last day of summer fluctuates from year to year, but my birthday is always 1-2 days within the last day of summer. And when you are a kid, your birthday never seems to come quickly enough. So the sooner the last day of summer came, the sooner my birthday was.
But this year, I told my husband that I have decided that I’m not having anymore birthdays. Sure, I like the presents and attention, but I’m so over the gray hairs and the slowing metabolism. So if I just pretend that the birthday doesn’t happen, it won’t, right? And I’ll stay young(ish) forever?? 😉
To celebrate the last day of summer, I’m bringing you the ultimate burger. And when you are looking for the ultimate burger, you turn the the burger queen, and you won’t be disappointed. (No – I’m not the burger queen – it’s Rachael Ray!!)
I’m a firm believer that burgers are made to be served year round, but there is something about a burger that screams out summer. And since we are saying goodbye to one season, we might as well say goodbye with queso and bacon on a loaded burger, right?
So farewell, summer, until next year. Now I can officially get excited about pumpkin and butternut squash and sweaters and boots. 🙂
- 12 slices of bacon
- 1¼ lbs ground beef
- 3-4 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained well
- 4 burger buns
- Corn chips
- Chopped onion, tomatoes, cilantro and pickled jalapeños, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, 10-12 minutes. Finely chop 4 of the slices, and set the other slices aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. In a bowl, combine the ground beef, grated onion, garlic, chipotle, Worcestershire sauce and chopped bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Mix lightly, then form into 4 patties. Drizzle with oil. For medium burgers, grill about 5 minutes on each side.
- While the burgers are cooking, make the queso sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and allow to cook for a minute or two. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the cheese until melted. Stir in the drained tomatoes.
- To assemble, place a burger patty on the bottom bun. Top with queso sauce, 2 slices of the reserved bacon, crushed corn chips, onion, tomatoes, cilantro and pickled jalapenos. Top with the top bun.
More burger love:
Around the Web: