Prepare breakfast ahead of time for easy mornings with this easy and family pleasing Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe. This easy breakfast casserole is made with bread, ham, cheese, green chiles and eggs.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe
I’m all for preparing ahead of time, and I’m pretty sure this easy breakfast casserole is my answer! All it takes is 15 minutes the day before to prepare, then into the refrigerator it goes. It does take a little bit of time to bake in the morning, but it’s easy to get it baking while you are getting the kids up and ready. And then there is a hot breakfast for everyone before you send the kids off to school.
This easy breakfast casserole recipe is especially perfect for holiday mornings, or the days following a holiday when you just don’t want to have to fuss over breakfast in the morning.
Ingredients in this make ahead breakfast casserole
This breakfast casserole only has a few ingredients:
- cubed French bread – a 1 lb loaf of French bread should give you enough plus some extra to spare.
- diced green chiles – I love that these bring in some extra flavor without making the dish too spicy.
- ham steaks, cubed – you can really use any ham that you want here, but I usually have ham steaks in the freezer. This would be a great use for leftover ham!
- cheddar cheese – I suggest grating this fresh, as it tends to melt a lot better than the pre-grated cheese.
- eggs – I always use large eggs.
- milk – I always have 2% on hand, but you should be find to use 1% or whole if that is what you have.
- spicy brown mustard – again, I love this because it brings in a lot of flavor without making the finished dish too spicy. But you could sub in any mustard that you love.
- salt and pepper – always important!
What kind of bread do you use in a breakfast casserole?
I originally made this recipe with leftover French bread that I had on hand, and it works perfectly. But if you don’t have French bread, regular white bread, or any other bread that you have on hand. I think it would also be great with croissants!
How to make this Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This breakfast casserole literally takes 15 minutes to put together.
- Start by combining the bread cubes, green chile and cheese and stir to combine. Put those into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use the same bowl (no need to get another bowl dirty!) and crack all 6 eggs into the bowl. Whisk lightly, just enough to break up the yolks. Add in the milk, mustard salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread. You’ll probably need to press down on the bread slightly to make sure it all gets coated with the egg mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate the casserole overnight.
- When ready to bake, let it sit out for 30 minutes before baking it for about an hour, or until it is cooked through.
More overnight breakfast casserole recipes
Overnight French Toast Casserole
Apple Raisin Overnight French Toast Casserole
Creme Brulee French Toast
Croissant Breakfast Casserole with Jerky and Cheddar
Cranberry Orange Baked French Toast Casserole
Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole
Eggs Benedict Strata
Sausage, Mushroom and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole
Baked Pear Vanilla French Toast