A perfect way to cool down, these Lemon Bar Ice Cream Sandwiches have chewy lemon cookies with lemon ice cream sandwiched between.
The truth is that I saw a magazine cover. That said magazine cover had a lemon dessert on it. And then somehow that magazine just jumped into my cart. And if that weren’t bad enough, that magazine sat on my counter, taunting me with it’s lemony deliciousness until I had no choice but to make that cover recipe.
It also didn’t hurt that ice cream was on sale. And that it’s eleven billion degrees outside. I think this dessert was just begging to be made.
Ice cream sandwiches are actually one of my many weaknesses. I rarely buy them, because I want to eat the entire box all by myself in the matter of 2 days. Something about the ice cream paired with the soft cookie – it’s just a match made in heaven. So when you combine a lemon bar cookie with ice cream that has been infused with lemon curd? Call me smitten.
Ever since I started making my own lemon curd a few years ago, I haven’t been able to handle the jarred kind. If you really must, you can take a shortcut and buy lemon curd, but I highly suggest that you make it yourself. It’s totally worth it.
This ice cream sandwich recipe makes a sandwich that is pretty thick, so you’ll want to make sure they are frozen through to avoid the ice cream just squishing out all over. The lemon bar cookie does stay pretty soft, but I originally only froze them for about 4 hours and they were a bit messy. But I didn’t mind licking every bit from my fingers.
This Lemon Bar Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe is a perfect recipe for hot summer days!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 8x8-inch baking pans with foil. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. (If you only have one pan, just bake one at a time.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth, then beat in the sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Once combined, beat in the egg and the vanilla, scraping the bowl as needed. Beat in the flour ½ cup at a time until combined.
- Press half of the dough evenly into the bottom of each baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven until just set, 12-13 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 3 minutes, then lift the foil and set the cookie bar on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Soften the ice cream. Stir the lemon curd into the ice cream. Line one of the baking pans with plastic wrap and place one of the cookie bars in the bottom of the pan. Spread the ice cream evenly over the cookie. Carefully place the second cookie over the top. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Cut the bars evenly into 16 squares to serve.
More frozen desserts to cool down to: