A perfect dessert, these Apple Crumb Bars have sweet caramelized apples layered on top of a cookie crust and then sprinkled with a buttery streusel.
Updated September 2014
Originally posted May 5, 2009 – As much as I love pumpkin season, right now I am taking advantage of the fresh crops of fall apples – one of my other favorite fall flavors! These Apple Crumb Bars are the perfect treat to share with friends or family. Sweet and full of apple flavor, you won’t be able to keep your hands out of them. I know this, because I had to give them away because I couldn’t stay away from them!!
There is one thing that I can’t resist – a good crumb topping. And pairing a crumb topping with apples is like a match made in heaven for me. In fact, I’ve blogged about my favorite apple pie that has a crumb topping. I love Thanksgiving just so I can make that pie!!
But what can you do when you don’t want to go to the trouble of making a pie? How about cookie bars that have all the same flavors?? I knew I had to make these bars when I saw the recipe. And you don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving! I actually made these when I was 10 days away from giving birth, so you know that they can’t be too complicated.
I’m sensing an apple craving coming on now…
You can also check out my review of this book on the Daring Bakers site!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
Apple Crumb Bars
A perfect dessert, these Apple Crumb bars have sweet caramelized apples layered on top of a cookie crust and then sprinkled with a buttery streusel.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 servings
- 3 large tart apples (I used Granny Smith)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Make the filling:
- Peel and core the apples and cut into a 1/2-inch dice. Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the apples and cook until they are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the sugar, lemon juice, flour and cinnamon to the apples and stir to combine. Cook until the mixture starts to bubble, then turn the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl to cool while you prepare the crust.
Make the crust:
- Line a 13×9-inch baking dish with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan and up the sides 1/4-inch. Set the pan aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Make the streusel:
- In a stand mixer, mix together the sugar, flour and salt. Add the butter and continue to mix until mixture is crumbly and the pieces of butter are very small. Add in the walnuts and mix just until combined.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly over the crust, leaving a 3/4-inch border around the sides. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan by the foil and cutting into bars.
source: Field Guide to Cookies