Originally posted November 4, 2010 – I recently got together with a few friends for a few hours of pie crust testing. When I took my crust home, I knew exactly what pie I wanted to make! Over the last few years, I’ve made this pie at least once or twice a year. It is my very favorite pie, and even though I love trying new recipes, this Sour Cream Apple Pie recipe is at the top of my favorites list. We are heading strong into apple season, and I think this apple pie is the perfect way to welcome in the apples!
After my Cafe Zupas post yesterday, I had to come back and re-post my favorite Apple Pie recipe!! I’ve actually been making this sour cream apple pie for years – and if you know me, you know that if I make a recipe more than once, it’s a winner! This is by far my favorite apple pie. I actually had a neighbor bring by a bag of apples from her tree, and this is the first thing that came to my mind.
I’m a sucker for a crumb topping, and it’s usually the more the better for me. I’ve actually doubled the topping from the original recipe, and I think it’s the perfect amount of crumble. And don’t let the sour cream part scare you away – it definitely adds to the pie!
Now that fall is fully upon us, I am craving pie like crazy, so stay tuned for many more!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
Sour Cream Apple Pie
Apples are combined with a sour cream mixture, then topped with lots of crumbly streusel in this favorite sour cream apple pie recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Roll the pie crust out and place in a pie dish. Generously prick the sides and bottom, then place a piece of parchment paper or foil over the crust. Place pie weights over the paper and par-bake the crust in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the weights and the parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, stir together 2 tablespoons flour, salt, 3/4 cup sugar and nutmeg in bowl. Combine egg, sour cream and vanilla in another bowl; mix well. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in apples and spoon mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350F and bake 30 minutes more. (If the sides of the crust are getting too brown, cover them with foil.) Remove pie from oven. Increase temperature to 400F.
- Combine 2/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cup flour and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon in bowl. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until crumbly, using a pastry blender or a fork.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over pie. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more. Cool on rack.
adapted from allrecipes.com