These Blackberry Pie Bars have a shortbread base is topped with a creamy blackberry layer and then a streusel top. You won’t be able to keep your hands off of these sweet bars!
I know berry season is coming to an end, but I found myself with a half flat of beautiful blackberries last week, and after eating way too many, these Blackberry Pie Bars came to my mind.
These bars are super ooey and gooey, not to mention sweet and buttery. They are definitely not diet friendly. 🙂 But they are oh, so good. I
‘ve made a peach version, too, that is amazing in its own right. If you can get your hands on some late summer berries, these Blackberry Pie Bars would be the perfect way to finish off the summer!
- Flour: You need flour for the crust as well as the filling. I use all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: Sugar also goes in the crust and the filling.
- Salt: The salt will balance the flavors. You really need it because these bars are so sweet.
- Butter: I like to use unsalted butter. If you are using salted butter, you’ll want to cut back on the amount of salt that you use.
- Eggs: I always use large eggs.
- Sour Cream: The sour cream makes the filling nice and creamy.
- Blackberries: The recipe calls for frozen berries, so I thought it would be good to see if fresh berries would work as well. And I’m happy to report that they work perfectly!
How to Make Blackberry Pie Bars
- Make the crust (and topping) by combining the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture comes together, but it should still be crumbly. You can also use a pastry cutter if you don’t have a food processor.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and press the rest into a prepared baking dish. Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes.
- Make the filling by whisking the eggs and sugar together, then stir in the sour cream, flour, and salt. Fold the blackberries in, then spread the mixture over the crust.
- Take the remaining crust mixture and sprinkle it over the top. Bake until the bars are lightly browned.
- Let the bars cool for at least 1 hour before slicing in to bars.
More Summer Desserts
Looking for more free recipes?
A shortbread base is topped with a creamy blackberry layer and then a streusel top in these Blackberry Pie Bars that you won’t be able to keep your hands out of!
Crust & Topping
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chlled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen blackberries, defrosted and drained (fresh berries can be substituted)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- To make the crust: In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter and continue to pulse, just until the mixture comes together but is still crumbly.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crust for the topping. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, then allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- To make the filling: Whisk together the eggs and the sugar. Stir in the sour cream, flour and salt. Gently fold in the blackberries. Spread the mixture over the crust, and sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Cool for at least one hour before cutting into bars.
recipe source: The Pastry Queen