With the perfect amount of cinnamon, little pockets of apples, and a sweet crumb topping, these Apple Cinnamon Muffins are the perfect way to start your day.
Originally published June 15, 2010: I have been trying to change up our breakfast routine lately, as the kids are getting bored with eggs or cereal pretty much every morning. So I’ve been having fun making muffins once a week. I found this Apple Cinnamon Muffins recipe from back in the archives and had everything on hand, so I had to make them again! I have made them a few times now, and love them. I’ve made them both with the crumb topping and without, and they are actually very good both ways. I’m a sucker for a crumb topping, but if you want something a little less sweet, or if you are short on time, you can definitely leave off the crumb. These muffins are perfect for a sweet breakfast!
The original post from 2010 follows:
Seriously, I really do need to just start having a “Muffin Day”, because I think I’ve posted a muffin every week for at least the last month. I tell ya – there is muffin love at our house! Actually, I had a family reunion a week ago, and my family was in charge of breakfast. My mom made some delicious quiches, and all us kids pitched in and brought muffins and sweet breads. This is one of the muffin contributions I made. (There are 2 more, so there is at least 2 more weeks of muffins!)
For some reason, I got it in my head that I wanted to make apple cinnamon muffins. Simple, right? Well, I had a recipe that I had saved forever ago, so I printed it out, intent on making it. Then I took a look at it. All was good, except the measurements were metric. Normally, I’d just get online and convert everything, but since I was making these for a crowd, I didn’t want to take any chances with measurements going wrong. So I went online. And I was so surprised at the lack of apple cinnamon muffins! I thought there would be thousands and thousands of them. But that wasn’t the case. And I couldn’t find just what I was looking for. Good thing they are just muffins, because I was able to take a recipe, and with a few tweaks, I ended up with exactly what I was looking for!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups chopped apples
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together the oil and the sugar. Stir in the eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently stir in the apples.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan, dividing the batter equally between the cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a fork or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb over the batter in the muffin pan.
- Bake the muffins until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let the muffins sit in the pan before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container.
SHOP THIS POST!
More Delicious Muffins:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!