This is the first time I have been visibly pregnant in the summer. And I’m starting to think that there is a reason that I spent most of the “big” months of my last 2 pregnancies in the colder months. This whole carrying-extra-weight-in-the-heat thing isn’t all that much fun. I will totally admit that on most nights, I am completly just cooking to survive. Simplicity is the name of the game. And really, the less heat, the better.
This salad is the perfect summertime meal – whether you are carrying a baby in your belly or not. I originally picked it because it sounded easy, but I seriously devoured this salad. I loved it. It’s a bonus that I didn’t have to turn on the stove or the oven, but none of that even mattered when I took my first bite. Don’t skip the avocado on this – I think that was the perfect touch that completed this salad. And really – there wasn’t anything about this that I didn’t love!!
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
- 1-2 avocados, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill to medium. Cook the corn until evenly charred, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, chini powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Cut the corn from the cobs and add to the bowl. Add in the beans, radishes, scallions and cilantro.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with the queso fresco and avocado.
- adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray June 2012
Get your grill on with these other grilled salads: