Healthy and satisfying, this Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad is perfect for a pot luck or for a delicious side dish.
So, I’m trying to be smarter with my food choices, trying to eat a little healthier. I was doing really well before I went on my cruise, and well – it’s all been downhill from there. But I know that I am happier and feel better about myself when I’m eating better. Even though it’s sometimes more fun to eat ice cream and cupcakes.
So I decided to hit up the archives for dinner one night. This Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad was originally published alongside the Grilled Pork Chops with Cilantro Lime Sauce in May of 2009, and I raved about the salad in the original post, so dinner was planned. Definitely click over and check out the pork chop recipe, too – I updated those photos as well!
Sometimes I forget just how delicious a good for you meal can be. I was seriously crushing on that whole dinner. (And wondering why I don’t make pork chops more often.) My husband isn’t a big quinoa fan, but I knew this would be a recipe that I could snack on over the course of a few days. And that I did – happily! This recipe makes a TON, so keep that in mind if you aren’t a fan of leftovers.
And since it is May, and summer bbqs and pot lucks are right around the corner, I thought I’d throw this out as a great suggestion for a salad or side dish to share. It’s great both cold and at room temperature, and is great for a crowd.
I know I’ll be craving this whole meal again soon!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (14-15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Combine 2 cups of water and the 1 cup quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the lime juice, butter, vegetable oil, lime zest and sugar in a bowl. Stir in the quinoa until all of the dressing has been absorbed. Add in the black beans, tomatoes, green onions and cilantro and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt. Serve at room temperature or cold.
More Quinoa Recipes Not To Be Missed:
Edamame Quinoa Salad from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Gluten Free Quinoa and Cauliflower Chowder from Foodiecrush
Southwestern Shrimp Quinoa Recipe from Taste and Tell
Greek Quinoa Salad with Grilled Chicken from Sweet Treats and More
Quinoa Crusted Chicken with Skinny Honey Mustard from Taste and Tell
And for even more inspiration, make sure you are following my Side Dishes board on Pinterest!