Pilgrim Hat Thanksgiving Cupcakes – white cupcakes with a classic buttercream are topped with an edible pilgrim hat – the perfect Thanksgiving cupcakes!
Being that this week is Thanksgiving, I thought I would get my act together and actually put together some Thanksgiving treats!! And I totally wish I came up with this idea, because I think these Thanksgiving cupcakes are the cutest things. But alas, I didn’t come up with it. I actually saw some cupcakes decorated like this when I went on a “back of the store” tour for a local grocery store. When I saw them, I immediately thought – I’m totally stealing that idea!!
Then I got home and as I was blog hopping, I saw similar cupcakes at Our Best Bites and Hoosier Homemade. But just because they’ve been done before doesn’t mean that they can’t be done again!!
These Thanksgiving cupcakes would be a great activity for the kids to put together on Thanksgiving. And I’m sure everyone will have fun eating them!!
You start with white cupcakes. You can really use any white cupcake recipe you want, but the one I’ve included is super easy because it starts with a box mix. Bake your cupcakes and let them cool.
Next up is the buttercream that you will use to frost the cupcakes before they are topped with the Pilgrim hat.
To make the pilgrim hat, all you need is a fudge stripe cookie and a miniature Reese’s peanut butter cup. They are held together by some of the buttercream, making the ribbon and buckle that go on the hat. They don’t have to be perfect. I don’t have a very steady hand, but I think they turned out really cute and fun!
These Pilgrim Hat THanksgiving Cupcakes are so perfect for Thanksgiving. They can be placed at the place settings or served as dessert. Either way, I’m sure they will be a hit!
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Pilgrim Hat Thanksgiving Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
White cupcakes with a classic buttercream are topped with an edible pilgrim hat – the perfect Thanksgiving cupcakes.
- 1 (18.25 oz.) package white cake mix with pudding
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3–4 cups powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- Thanksgiving/Fall sprinkles (optional)
- 24 Fudge Stripe Cookies
- 24 Mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, unwrapped
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine all of the cupcake ingredients and mix on low until combined. Turn the speed up to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full of batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
- With a mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in the milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
Assemble the cupcakes:
- Reserve about 1/2 cup of the buttercream. Place the remaining buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip. Pipe the buttercream onto the cooled cupcakes, then add sprinkles, if desired.
- Tint the reserved buttercream orange or yellow. Place in a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Place a peanut butter cup upside down on the bottom (chocolate) side of each of the fudge striped cookies. Pipe the frosting around the base of the peanut butter cup to hold it in place. Pipe a buckle on the peanut butter cup.
- Place one cookie hat on top of each cupcake.
cupcake recipe from Southern Living
Leave a Comment...