Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookie Recipe – a favorite sandwich in cookie form!
A little while back, the folks at Tablespoon contacted me to see if I would be interested in doing a special one-month collection of recipes for them. With the theme of peanut butter. Peanut butter? How could I resist??? Creating 5 recipes around peanut butter would not only be a piece of cake, (what better ingredient?), but I thought it would be fun!
So over the next 3 days, I’m going to be bringing you 3 of those 5 recipes. So I apologize right now for the crazy amount of sweets I have coming at you this week, but it’s all worth it!
Up first – one of my favorite cookies. I love peanut butter cookies, and turning them into this Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipe was a no-brainer. What goes better with peanut butter than jelly?
One of my biggest things when making thumbprint cookies is the double indentation. I’ve seen lots of recipes that have you freeze the cookies before baking so that the indentation stays, but I say why waste the time? Here is what I do.
After you make the dough, roll it into balls. Use your thumb or your knuckle to make an indentation. I usually opt for the knuckle, because my fingernail always leaves a mark when I use my thumb! Bake the cookies.
When they come out of the oven, some of the indentation will have disappeared. You don’t want to use your knuckle again, (unless you don’t care about burns!), so I use the end of a wooden spoon. Works perfectly every time!! When the cookies are cool, you fill the indentation with jam. I used strawberry, because it’s a favorite of ours, but feel free to use your favorite kind of jam!
This Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipe is one of our favorite cookies. It’s perfect for kids and adults – no one can resist them!!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup strawberry jelly
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in the peanut butter until combined, then add in the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Roll the dough into 30 balls. Place on baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart. Use your thumb or knuckle to make an indentation in each cookie.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and using the handle of a wooden spoon, press down again on the indentation. Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack.
- When the cookies are cool, fill the indentations with about 1 teaspoon of jam.
What is your favorite way to enjoy peanut butter?