Italian Heroines – A hot sandwich with turkey, basil, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and cheese.
Can anyone notice what is wrong in this picture?? I won’t tell you today, but I want to see if anyone else can tell!
I can tell you what is NOT wrong with this sandwich – the taste. I thought I was on a muffin kick, but I’m thinking of turning it into a sandwich kick because the last 2 sandwiches that I’ve made have be so delicious to me.
I actually let my husband pick this recipe out. A long time ago, I had tons of magazines that I didn’t want to get rid of because of the recipes. They weren’t food magazines, (which I can justify holding onto forever), but they were magazines like Family Circle or Good Housekeeping. So I started cutting out the recipes. Then I glued them to index cards, and covered them with contact paper. It’s so funny how much time I spent on these cards, because I didn’t even really cook back when I made these. I’ve said it before, but some people collect coins or stamps – I collect recipes.
Well, the other day, I pulled some of these cards out and let my husband choose what would go on the menu. And this is what he chose. At first, I was a little disappointed because they didn’t sound like anything special. But I’d go as far as to say that these are pretty special. I can guarantee my husband will be asking for these again, and I know I’ll make them when he asks!
I love that you can change these up easily, as well. A super easy weeknight dinner idea!
More Sandwich Recipes
Looking for more free recipes?
A hot sandwich with turkey, basil, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and cheese.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 4 hero (hoagie, sub) rolls, split
- 6 tablespoons basil pesto
- 8 ounces sliced cooked turkey
- 2 cups deli-style marinated roasted red peppers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 425F. Have a cookie sheet ready.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; saute 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile spread cut sides of rolls with pesto. Top with turkey and peppers, spoon on onion and mushrooms, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts.