Simple and healthy, this Lemon Butter Broccoli makes the perfect side dish.
Originally published February 27, 2009 with Honey Mustard Pork Chops.
I have decided that I need to step up my side dish. I do love side dishes, and we almost always have them. My kids are actually fairly good about eating vegetables, so unless the main dish is packed with veggies, I’ll usually have one or two on their plates. As someone who prides herself in providing a homemade dinner for her family the majority of the week, I hate to admit that our side dishes usually come in the form of frozen vegetables. Heat and serve – that’s my normal side dish routine.
But that’s boring. And I’m not usually a fan of boring food.
In my quest to go back through my archives and make sure there is only one recipe in each post, I came across this broccoli recipe that I first made back in 2009. Since we always have broccoli on hand, (it’s a favorite for my kids), I thought I’d give this recipe another go.
And then I remembered why I love cooking from the archives. This is such an easy side dish recipe, packed with flavor. The lemon brings so much freshness. And it’s a good-for-you recipe to top it off!!
Here’s to no more boring side dishes!!
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1½ pounds), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a pan with a steamer basket. Add the broccoli to the basket, cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the lemon juice and cook for 30-60 seconds. Stir in the lemon zest, salt and pepper, then add in the broccoli. Toss to coat.