Crispy coconut crusted shrimp are topped with a sweet and spicy mango salsa in this Coconut Shrimp Taco Recipe that brings a taste of the tropics to taco night!
This is my least favorite time of year. Especially here in Utah. You can almost feel spring creeping around the corner, but you also know that there are still lots of gloomy days ahead. Many days, you have the inversion hanging over your head. And while there is still snow on the ground, it is now dirty and melting and patchy and black and just not the pretty white snow you see on the covers of all the Christmas cards.
I’m really wishing that a weekend in the mountains was in our near future. Or that spring would actually come early for once.
But since I know I have to bear it a little longer, then next best thing to do is dream of tropical locations and sand in between my toes.
And while I can’t make Aruba happen in my near future, I can make this Coconut Shrimp Taco Recipe with Mango Salsa happen soon!!
Oftentimes, I’ll get recipe inspiration from things I see – restaurant menus, commercials, or grocery store advertisements. Many months ago, I saw a billboard advertising shrimp tacos with mango salsa, and I quickly jotted down a note, thinking to save the idea to use at home. Well, it had been sitting in my notes for quite some time, until I decided that I needed a taste of the tropics to brighten up a gloomy winter day. And let me tell you – you can definitely use some brightening on a February day!!
This shrimp taco recipe is perfect for anyone who is a fan of the sweet/salty/spicy combo. I used sweetened shredded coconut because that is what I had on hand, plus I wanted a little bit of sweetness. You can definitely sub in unsweetened coconut if that is what you have. You’ll also get some sweetness from the mango, but the spicy jalapeño helps to balance that out. But the coconut with the shrimp with the mango salsa? Amazing. I haven’t had those takeout tacos that inspired this shrimp taco recipe, but I would bet that these are just as good, if not even better!!
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- oil, for frying
- 24 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 mango, diced
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ½ - 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 8 tortillas
- shredded purple cabbage
- sliced avocados
- fresh lime juice
- Combine the panko, coconut, lime zest, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Place the cornstarch in a third bowl.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy pot or cast iron skillet to about 350ºF.
- Working with a few shrimp at a time, dip them into the cornstarch first, shaking off any excess. Transfer to the eggs, then into the panko mixture, coating the shrimp completely. Place in the oil and cook until browned and crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat until all of the shrimp are cooked.
- To make the salsa, combine the mango, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeño in a small bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the top and stir to combine. If needed, season to taste with salt.
- To assemble, place 3 shrimp on each tortilla. Top with a couple slices of avocado, cabbage, cilantro, and some of the mango salsa. Squeeze fresh lime over the top, if desired.
More Tropical Inspired Recipes:
Around the Web:
Tropical Overnight Oats from Dessert Now, Dinner Later
Nachos with Tropical Fruit Habanero Salsa from Baked Bree
Tropical Coconut Chicken Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing from Joyful Healthy Eats
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!