This White Bean Soup with Sausage is filled with vegetables, beans and smoked sausage, making an easy slow cooker soup that is so easy, filling, and comforting.
Photos Updated January 2015
I cannot tell you how happy I am right now. This is my last week of work, and I couldn’t be more excited!! I am so proud of my husband and how hard he has been working. And I’m so excited that I’ll be home all day starting next week, just in time for the holiday season and holiday baking!!
Many of you know that while I’ve been working, I’ve been on the search for super simple supper ideas. And of course, when I think of nights short on time, my mind goes to the slow cooker. Now, I’ve said this before, but I have a love/hate relationship with the slow cooker. Generally, I really don’t like the texture that you get from meat that has been in the slow cooker all day. I’m better off if I can be there to monitor it, and if it is getting too “well done”, then I can take it out. Well, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the slow cooker, doesn’t it!?! So I tend to do a lot of soup in the slow cooker, because those seem to work out the best for me.
This White Bean Soup with Sausage was the perfect slow cooker meal. Although the sausage did lose a little bit of it’s texture being in the slow cooker all day, I love how it flavored the broth of the soup. And this is super healthy, to top it off!! I had to cut up a few vegetables in the morning, but I was easily able to throw this together before work. You really can’t beat a good white bean soup, so I’m glad I had a slow cooker success!!
- 2 cans (16 oz each) Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (14-16 oz) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, sausage, broth, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf in a 5-quart slow cooker. Cook on the low setting until the vegetables are tender, about 8 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Top each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!