This Slow Cooker Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe cooks fresh squash slowly in the slow cooker. Before serving, cream cheese is added for a creamy, simple, flavorful soup.
Slow Cooker Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
I know that I’m not supposed to play favorites, but if I had to choose a favorite soup recipe here on Taste and Tell, this Slow Cooker Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe would be right there at the top. I first made this butternut squash soup just over 8 years ago, and it has been a go-to since then. It is super creamy. It is super flavorful. It is one of those dishes that everyone will ask you for the recipe after they try it. Yes, it is so, so good.
Ingredients for this Slow Cooker Creamy Butternut Squash Soup recipe
The ingredient list for this slow cooker soup is quite short, which I love. You will need:
- a butternut squash
- chicken flavor bouillon cubes
- dried thyme
- cayenne pepper
- cream cheese
*I always grab a whole butternut squash for this recipe. They are inexpensive and easy to find all fall and winter long. If you don’t want to deal with the pain of peeling it, most grocery stores sell it already in chunks. Super convenient, but you will pay for that convenience.
*This soup is not vegetarian because I use chicken bouillon. You could easily swap vegetable broth to make it vegetarian. But I love the depth of the bullion cubes. You could also use 2 cups of chicken broth instead of the water and the bullion cubes.
How do you make butternut squash soup from scratch?
This butternut squash soup is so easy, all it takes is a little bit of work at first, and then it all goes into the slow cooker! Here’s you you do it:
- I just use a regular vegetable peeler to peel the squash. Then I cut it in half, remove the seeds, the cube the squash from there. Place that squash into you slow cooker.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, then cook the onion. Once translucent, add that to the slow cooker along with the squash.
- Add the water, bullion cubes, pepper and cayenne pepper to the mixture, the put the lid on and allow to cook all day long.
- Once the squash is tender, add the cream cheese to the slow cooker, then allow it to cook another 30-45 minutes, melting the cream cheese.
- Working in 2 batches, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the slow cooker.
- Serve the soup immediately, or keep in the slow cooker on low to keep warm.
What are good spices to add to butternut squash soup?
I use thyme plus a little bit of cayenne pepper. You really only need that 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne to bring a subtle kick of heat that is wonderful. You could also give it a Thai kick with some ginger and either curry paste or curry spice. Basil, oregano, or rosemary would also work very nicely.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
Tools Used to Make this Slow Cooker Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
I have a slow cooker similar to this one and I love it because it has a low, medium and high setting. I’m surprised how much I use that medium setting!
This is the blender that I have and use to blend this soup. I have had it for years now and love it! You could also use an immersion blender to make the soup smooth.
I use just a regular vegetable peeler to peel the squash. You can also use a sharp knife, but I feel like the vegetable peeler is way easier and a lot safer, as well.
A butternut squash soup is cooked slowly in the slow cooker, with cream cheese added at the end for a creamy finish.
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 4 chicken-flavor bullion cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, cubed
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place in the bottom of a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the cooked onion to the slow cooker, along with the water, bullion, thyme, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the squash is tender.
- Add the cream cheese to the slow cooker and allow to cook for 30-45 minutes. Working in batches, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. (Alternately, use an immersion blender and blend the mixture in the slow cooker.). Return the soup to the slow cooker to keep warm.
Adapted from Pillsbury Slow Cooker Recipes
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts.
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 990 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
Originally posted December 6, 2010