Hearty, filling, and family-friendly, this Italian Ground Beef Casserole with Biscuit Topping is the perfect answer for an easy weeknight dinner.
It happens every year. I complain about winter, and can’t wait until it’s over, but then when the weather starts to warm up and spring is on the horizon, I start scrambling, wanting to make all the comfort food. Because let’s face it, I’m a comfort food girl at heart. It really is the most redeeming thing about winter.
So while I’m sure you’ll start seeing some spring-like recipes being sprinkled in here soon, I’m still going strong with the comfort food. But I have a feeling that none of you are going to mind. Because sometimes, even when the weather outside is nice, there is nothing better than a good casserole for dinner.
I was actually going through a cookbook one day, looking at a completely different recipe when I came across this Italian Ground Beef Casserole recipe. I’ve cooked a ton of recipes from this cookbook, and am always coming across even more recipes that I want to make. So I did the only thing there is to do, and I added it to the menu plan.
This Italian Ground Beef Casserole with Biscuit Topping is super easy, which makes it great for both weeknight dinner or even a Sunday supper. Ground beef is simmered in a tomato sauce mixture, then it is layered with vegetables and cheese. And then the whole mixture is topped with refrigerated flaky biscuits. If you are feeling extra ambitious, feel free to make your own biscuits, but I took the shortcut on this one and didn’t regret it at all. (I have a soft spot in my heart for those flaky biscuits!!)
This is hearty and filling – everything comfort food should be. I could go for it anytime of year!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1½ cups frozen peas, carrots and corn (or any mixed vegetables), thawed
- 1 (16 oz) can refrigerated flaky layer biscuits
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, breaking up as it cooks. When it is about half-way cooked through, add the onion and continue to cook until the onion is soft and the ground beef is fully cooked. Drain, if necessary, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the ¾ cup water, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread half of the hot meat mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with ⅔ cup of the mozzarella, then spread the vegetables evenly over the cheese. Top with another ⅔ cup of mozzarella. Spread the remaining meat mixture over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Open the biscuits and split each biscuit in half lengthwise, making 16 thinner biscuits. Arrange layers of the biscuits over the top, overlapping, in 3 rows of 5 each. (You will have one half of a biscuit leftover.)
- Brush the melted butter over the tops of the biscuits. Sprinkle with the oregano. Bake the casserole until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
SHOP THIS POST!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
More Comforting Casseroles: