Comforting and creamy, this Green Chile Casserole is simple to prepare and reminds me of home.
Photos Updated July 2015
I spent the first 18 years of my life in a smallish town in New Mexico. And if you’ve been to New Mexico, you know that green chiles are a regular occurrence. I remember all the time in the summer, you’d find these huge roasters in front of different stores where you could buy freshly roasted green chiles. I can still remember that smell like it was yesterday, and I haven’t lived there for many years now. So I really have a special place in my heart for anything with roasted green chiles in it.
I actually found a version of this casserole in a family cookbook. I almost passed it over because of the cream of chicken soup – since I’m not a huge fan of the “cream of” soups. But I decided to go for it, and I’m so glad that I did, because I loved this casserole. This definitely brought back a little bit of New Mexico to me!
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pound grated cheese (I used a mix of monterey jack and cheddar)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (4-oz) cans diced green chiles
- 1 (10-oz) package corn tortillas, each tortilla cut into eighths
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a saucepan, combine the soup, milk, and the ¾ of the cheese, reserving the remaining ¼ for topping the casserole. Once the cheese is melted, stir in the green chiles.
- In a skillet, brown the beef with the onions. Add in the oregano, garlic powder and salt.
- In a well greased 9×13 casserole dish, layer half of the tortilla strips. Spread ½ of the beef mixture on top, followed by ½ of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let the casserole sit for 10-15 minutes before serving if you want the slices to hold together.
SHOP THIS POST!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
More Green Chile Favorites:
Around the Web:
Green Chile Cornbread from Simply Recipes
Green Chile, Chicken and Rice Casserole from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Easy One Pot Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese from The Recipe Rebel