Cherry Empanadas – Cherry pie filling is wrapped in a flour tortilla, fried, and rolled in cinnamon sugar for a decadent dessert.
Don’t forget some of my other favorites – like these Virgin Frozen Margaritas and Tres Leches Cake!
While normally I have the Blogger Spotlight feature on Fridays, we are interrupting our regularly scheduled posting to bring you not one, but two recipes that you can put on your Cinco de Mayo menu for tomorrow. And if you are in Utah, I’ll be making these today on KUTV’s Fresh Living at 1pm!
Let’s start with these empanadas. I know, I know. When I say “empanada”, this is not what you picture. I can already hear you saying – “aren’t they supposed to be half moon shaped, and made from a pastry dough? And aren’t they usually filled with savory ingredients?” True, true. That is what a traditional empanada is. But these aren’t traditional. These empanadas are actually a knock off of a dessert empanada that is sold at a fast food Mexican restaurant. And I love them. I can’t remember the last time I bought one of these, but I have always wanted to try making them at home. And guess what? They are super easy, and just as tasty!!
They are as simple as a flour tortilla, filled with pie filling, fried, and then rolled in cinnamon sugar. I find that with fried, rolled things like this, it is best if they are made and then refrigerated for awhile before you fry them. It just helps the whole thing to stay together better. Which is why these would be so easy to whip up tonight, and then fry tomorrow. But if you want them now, they still work beautifully if you prepare them and fry them all in one go. And they are super adaptable. Don’t like cherry? Try a different flavor! A perfect dessert for your Cinco de Mayo party!
More Cinco de Mayo Recipes:
Grilled Mexican Corn on the Cob
Chicken, Black Bean and Zucchini Enchiladas
Migas Breakfast Tacos
Fried Fish Tacos
Dulce de Leche Cheesecake
Fried Ice Cream Recipe with Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Bowls
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Mexican
Cherry pie filling is wrapped in a flour tortilla, fried, and rolled in cinnamon sugar for a decadent dessert.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (21-oz) can cherry pie filling
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- In a shallow dish, mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
- Lay the tortillas out on a work surface. Put about 1/4 cup of filling down the center of each tortilla. Fold the ends in, then roll up like a burrito. Make sure they are rolled tightly. Lay seam side down on a baking sheet. (At this point, you can refrigerate them. It makes them a little easier to fry, but it’s not required.)
- Heat about 3/4″ of oil to 350F in a heavy duty skillet or Dutch oven. Once hot, add the empanadas, 2 or 3 at a time, to the oil. Cook until browned on one side, then turn to brown the other side. When browned, immediately roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then place on a clean plate. Continue until all empanadas are cooked.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Leave a Comment...