When I was pregnant with both of my boys, I had one craving that was the same. Salad. But not just any salad. It had to have ranch dressing.
Now, I’m not a food snob and I don’t put my nose up at ranch dressing – I actually do like it – but I used to opt for other choices. But then when I got pregnant with Easton, all I wanted was a big salad with ranch dressing. I tried to eat other dressings, but I just couldn’t. It was the ranch or nothing at all.
When I got pregnant with Camden, I found myself craving salads again. The need for ranch wasn’t quite as strong as it was with Easton, but it was definitely still there, and only ranch would really satisfy.
Luckily, once I gave birth, that need for ranch subsided. But the need for salads? I definitely still get a craving every now and again.
A few months back, I found myself craving a salad. But not just any salad. A chopped salad. A Thai chopped salad.
But the funny thing is – I’ve never had a Thai chopped salad before. But the craving hit, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
So I made one.
And it was good.
So good, in fact, that my husband and I pretty much inhaled this whole thing ourselves. Abbi did have some, (she is a salad addict), but Josh and I really went to town. And I’ve been craving it ever since. It looks like this craving isn’t going to go away any time soon!
And – you could totally leave the chicken out and this would come together pretty quickly. Or even use leftover chicken. But I actually prepared ahead of time and marinated my chicken. Not critical, but still delicious. But this would definitely make a killer meatless meal as well!
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- dash of salt
- 1 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast (6-8 oz)
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 2 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup edamame, cooked
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- peanuts, for topping
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Thai sweet red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet red chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a ziptop bag, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken breast. Marinate for at least 4 hours - up to overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350F. Discard the marinade place the chicken breast in a baking dish. Bake until the internal temperature is 165, about 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred or cut into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients. Add in the chicken.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and whisk well to combine. Pour over the salad and stir to coat the whole salad.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili sauce. Slowly whisk in the vegetable oil until the sauce comes together. Drizzle over the salad to serve. Top with peanuts.
More Thai inspired dishes:
Around the Web: