With the perfect amount of spice and a ton of flavor, this Spicy Chicken Sandwich with Cilantro-Lime Mayo is so good that the family asks for it over and over again!
Am I the only one who feels like time is on fast forward? I got a message from my daughter’s school last week, talking about the end of the year activities. I was confused at first, wondering why they were talking about the end of the year, until I realized that now it’s already May, and school lets out for summer this month.
Summer. This month.
I’m not sure I’m ready for this yet. I’m so excited for time to spend with the kids and a more relaxed schedule, but I’m not ready for the constant “I’m bored” that will come with it. I am so not a Pinterest mom, but I just may be needing to utilize one of those 100 things to do this summer lists. Or start making the chore lists to keep them busy. 😉
As the weather starts to get warmer and as we head towards summer, I want to start simplifying things. Lots of sandwiches, burgers and wraps for dinner.
This Spicy Chicken Sandwich with Cilantro Lime Mayo just may become a staple this year. It comes together pretty quickly (besides the marinating time), and only requires about 6 minutes of cooking time. Which is perfect if you are one of those people who hates heating up the kitchen when the weather gets warmer.
And don’t let the “spicy” part of this Spicy Chicken Sandwich scare you away. They have a ton of flavor, but are not overly spicy. In fact, my kids were totally fine eating them. If you want to add more spice, you can add in more hot sauce, or maybe a splash or two of a hotter hot sauce than buffalo sauce. But overall, I thought the spice level was perfect. And that Cilantro Lime Mayo? I want to slather that on everything.
What is your favorite thing to make for dinner when the weather gets warmer?
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 oz each) boneless chicken breasts
- 4½ ounces tortilla chips (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- red onion slices
- torn lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt and lime juice and stir until smooth. Stir in the cilantro and garlic. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine the egg, buffalo sauce, oregano and salt in a gallon sized ziplock bag. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, making 4 thinner pieces of chicken. Add them to the bag and seal. Refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Place the tortilla chips in a food processor and process until crumbs. Place in a shallow dish.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, remove from the marinade and allow any excess marinade to drip off. Coat the chicken in the crushed tortilla chips. Set aside and continue with the remaining chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 3 minutes, then turn and cook the second side until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 more minutes.
- To serve, spread the Cilantro-Lime Mayo on the bottom of each of the rolls. Top with red onions, lettuce, and a piece of chicken. Spread some more of the mayo on the top half of the roll and place on top of the chicken.
Useful Products for this Recipe:
Other Chicken Sandwiches You May Love:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!