A cheeseball with the southwestern of green chiles and cilantro.
I’m guessing that by now, the day before Thanksgiving, you have the turkey bought and thawing, or brining, or waiting patiently for the oven first thing in the morning. Sides have been decided – and as many as possible already made. And hey – I’ve even seen that quite a few people already have their tables set and decorated.
But I’m betting that there are still a few of you still gathering recipes and ideas for last minute entertaining. And one of my favorite things – that I often forget about until the last minute – are the appetizers. We usually plan to eat around 1pm, but the way things go, that time tends to get pushed back until everyone has arrived and all of the food is ready. So appetizers are a must for pre-Thanksgiving meal munchies.
I have some favorites, and lots that I want to try, and this cheeseball would make a perfect addition to your festivities. It’s easy. You can make it up tonight and you won’t have to worry about anything tomorrow. And it’s addictive and delicious. I seriously could have eaten this for lunch and dinner the day I made it, so I’m sure your guests will go crazy for it.
And if all else fails, it’s a great recipe to have on hand for the entertaining you are going to be doing the rest of the year!! You can also visit my post at Cafe Zupas for even more appetizer inspiration!!
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- chopped cilantro
- crackers, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheddar, cream cheese, butter, onion, garlic powder and green chile. Mix completely.
- Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form into a ball and wrap tightly. Refrigerate until set up, 2 hours to overnight.
- Place chopped cilantro on a plate. Unwrap cheeseball and roll in the cilantro until coated. Serve with crackers.
Want more cheeseball ideas?