A riff on the popular restaurant appetizer, these Avocado Egg Rolls are easy to make at home and just as good!
I am not normally a big tv watcher. I have a couple shows that I like to watch, but really, especially when it comes down to nighttime dramas, I have been pretty out of the loop lately.
Then I had a baby. And I found myself sitting on the couch, holding that baby, watching way more tv than I have for the past couple of years. When I realized that I have seen pretty much every episode of Chopped, Love it or List It, and Property Brothers, I decided it was time to find something a little more exciting to watch. (Plus, I have found that I need entertaining tv to keep me awake during that 3am feeding, because nothing else is working!!)
I started with Parenthood. When I had watched every episode, I moved onto Downton Abbey. Last week, I finally caught up on that one, and found myself looking for a new series to turn to. And there it was on Netflix – that series that I have heard so much about over Twitter and Facebook – Friday Night Lights.
I have said it before – even though I do like sports, I don’t usually get all crazy about the Super Bowl. But after watching the first few episodes of Friday Night Lights, I’m totally feeling the football vibe. Heck, I may even watch some of it this year instead of hiding out in the kitchen with the food!
That is, unless these egg rolls will be gracing that table filled with football snacks. These egg rolls alone would be worth hiding out in the kitchen over.
Now, most of us aren’t strangers to the popular restaurant version of these egg rolls. But why go sit on a waiting list for an hour when you can whip these up at home pretty effortlessly? And as much as I love their dipping sauce, I decided to go with something that has ingredients that are super easy to find. (Because I don’t know about your grocery store, but tamarind paste is nowhere to be found in mine!)
And if there is one time a year that you should break that New Year’s resolution and fry up some egg rolls, the big game should be that day. Believe me – these are worth it!!
- 3 Avocados from Mexico
- ⅓ cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 9 eggroll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 chipotles in adobo, seeds removed and chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Make the dipping sauce: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the eggrolls: Heat several inches of oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pan until it reaches 350F – 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine the avocados, sundried tomatoes, red onion and cilantro; mix. Working with one eggroll wrapper at a time, lay the wrapper on a surface in front of you like a diamond. Add about ¼ cup of the avocado mixture to the center. Fold in the two sides, then fold over the bottom. Roll until the filling is completely enclosed in the center of the roll. Wet the corner of the wrapper so that it will stick. Continue until all 9 rolls are wrapped.
- Drop the eggrolls into the hot oil, 2 or 3 at a time, and cook until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Cut diagonally and serve with the Chipotle Ranch Dipping Sauce.
How about some more football fun? Sweepstakes has ended!
Avocados From Mexico has teamed up with a group of bloggers – giving you multiple chances to win 1 of 6 awesome prize packs!! Each prize pack includes:
1. A 16 GB iPad2
2. A $100 gift card compliments of Avocados from Mexico
3. A KitchenAid® Hand Blender
4. A cloth tortilla warmer, lemon/lime squeezer, and tortilla press from IMUSA
5. An author-signed Muy Bueno cookbook
Here are the details:
Enter to win via Taste and Tell here from today, January 20th, until 11:59pm on January 27th. This Game Day Sweepstakes is sponsored by Avocados From Mexico. The winner will be announced within 24 hours after the game on Super Bowl Sunday. Winner must respond within 48 hours or a new winner will be chosen. You must register on the Avocados From Mexico website to qualify. You can register to receive delicious recipes from Avocados From Mexico here.
Linked up t