I’m going to warn you – it’s a busy week here at Taste and Tell. I know I don’t normally post on Sundays, but I have so much I want to bring you this week that I just ran out of days!! I’m preparing for my 3rd annual Red Velvet Week, which will begin on February 4th, so I need to get you some savory recipes before I inundate you with lots of sweet and red!!
And then there’s the big game, right around the corner. I have another great recipe that will be perfect football watching food. And yes, I have a thing for egg rolls lately. But this time, we are filling them with macaroni and cheese.
Yes, that’s right. Macaroni and Cheese.
And how about 30 days of macaroni and cheese? It’s happening right now, put on by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. This is my second year to participate in this annual event, (remember my Pepperoni Pizza Mac & Cheese?), and I’m so glad to be back this year with this indulgent snack.
You’ll want these on the menu for the big game, and while you’re at it, check out the other 30 Days 30 Ways with Macaroni and Cheese!
Looking for more free recipes?
Perfect for game day, we’ve combined 2 favorites – egg rolls and macaroni and cheese – for a crowd pleasing recipe.
- 1/2 lb macaroni
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 oz gruyere, shredded
- 4 oz mozzarella, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 package (1 lb) egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine the half and half and the milk in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Heat until warmed through, being careful not to let it come to a boil.
- In another large saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the gruyere and the mozzarella. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add in the ground mustard. Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a dish to cool, or refrigerate overnight.
- When the macaroni and cheese has completely cooled, place a large, heavy duty pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add several inches of vegetable oil and heat to 350F.
- Working with one egg roll wrapper at a time, moisten the edges with water. Place the wrapper with one point facing toward you. Place about 1/4 cup of the macaroni and cheese in the center and roll the corner closest to you over the filling. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and continue rolling until it is closed. Press to seal and set aside. Continue with the remaining wrappers.
- Place the egg rolls in the heated oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels or a wire rack. Serve warm.