Asian Meatballs – Meatballs with Asian flavors are made easier by cooking low and slow in the slow cooker.
I have to admit – it feels kind of silly to be writing about meatballs just days before Thanksgiving. But I figured that at this point, you most likely have your Thanksgiving menu planned out, but you are still going to need easy recipes for the weeknights – or for those crazy busy nights that are coming up between Thanksgiving and Christmas!!
I have a thing for meatballs, I think. I’ve made them in the slow cooker before (Tamale Meatballs). And I’ve made them Asian style before (Sweet and Sour Meatballs). But I combined them this time – Asian style in the slow cooker!!
I actually came up with this when I was in a clean out the fridge mood, and found a bottle of hoisin sauce and a bottle of plum sauce that both needed to be used. What I ended up with was a winner!! And while this isn’t a dump and cook slow cooker meal, I think the extra little bit of effort is totally worth it. I haven’t tried it, but I’m guessing that you could even make these meatballs ahead of time, freeze them, and then slow cook them (adding some extra time if they are frozen). That will make the morning prep even easier!
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Slow Cooker Asian Meatballs
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
Meatballs with an Asian flair are made easier by cooking low and slow in the slow cooker.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (cut this in half if you don’t love ginger!)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1–2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup plum sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients except vegetable oil. Use your hands and mix lightly, just until mixed. Form into tablespoon sized meatballs. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides. Transfer meatballs to a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients. Pour over the meatballs.
- Cook in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, or until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve over rice with sliced scallions, if desired.
Keywords: asian meatballs
Leave a Comment...