Excite your taste buds with this recipe for homemade coconut syrup. Discover the secret to creating this sweet and tropical syrup that perfectly complements pancakes, waffles, and desserts. It only takes a few simple ingredients and is ready in no time at all!
I’ve been craving a tropical vacation, but since I’m stuck at home, I guess I need to bring the tropics to me!
It may not be breakfast on the beach, but it’s the next best thing!
- Sugar: I use regular granulated sugar.
- Cornstarch: The cornstarch is important so that the syrup with thicken up.
- Coconut Milk: You want to use canned coconut milk, not the coconut milk that comes in a carton. I have only tested this with full fat coconut milk.
- Corn Syrup: The corn syrup will give the syrup the correct consistency.
- Vanilla Extract: This is for flavor.
- Coconut Extract: I have made this with and without the coconut extract, and while both are good, the coconut extract will definitely give you some extra coconut flavor.
How to Make Coconut Syrup
This really takes very little time!
- Combine the sugar and the cornstarch and whisk them together well.
- Place the sugar mixture in a large saucepan along with the coconut milk and the corn syrup. Whisk this all together to combine.
- Turn the heat on to medium high and cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil. Continue to cook and stir for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut extracts. Let the syrup sit for a few minutes to thicken up before serving.
Store any leftover syrup in the refrigerator in a covered container.
It will last up to 2 weeks if store properly.
Tips and Tricks
I have found that different brands of coconut milk will taste different. We had one brand that I picked up when our normal brand was out of stock, and we did not like the syrup with that brand. So make sure you are using a brand of coconut milk that you like.
You’ll want to use a bigger saucepan when making the syrup. It will bubble up, and if the pan is not big enough, you’ll end up with a mess on your hands.
For extra flavor and texture, add in some toasted coconut.
More Pancake Toppings
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can 13.66 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Whisk the sugar and the cornstarch together until no lumps remain.
- In a saucepan*, combine the sugar/cornstarch mixture with the coconut milk and corn syrup. Whisk to combine.
- Place over medium high heat and cook until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and continue to boil for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and the coconut extracts. Allow the syrup to cool and thicken up before serving.