Take comfort to the max with this Cheesy Baked Cajun Pasta! Penne pasta is combined with a rich cheese sauce with cajun flavors and sliced sausage throughout. It’s filling and comforting!
But I am looking forward to summer and slower mornings relaxed schedules. And I’m hoping for lots of summer adventures and lots of ice cream.
But in the meantime, you need to make this Cheesy Baked Cajun Pasta before it’s too hot to turn on the oven. I’m actually a fan of cheesy pasta dishes all summer long, so I could totally see myself making this for a Sunday supper in the middle of July. But that’s just me. 😉
My husband and I both fell in love with this cheesy pasta dish. But I’m slowly discovering that there are very few cheesy pasta dishes that I don’t love! This one is a little different, though, with the cajun spices and the sausage. It is definitely packed with flavor, and definitely packed with comfort!!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 8 oz extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 package (12 oz) kielbasa, sliced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute, then sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Slowly pour the milk into the onion mixture, whisking to combine. Bring to a simmer, then add in the cream cheese and the cajun seasoning. Cook until the cream cheese has softened, then stir in both the cheddar and the gruyere.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in another skillet. Add the kielbasa and cook, turning, until browned on both sides.
- In the pot you used to boil the pasta, combine the drained pasta, the kielbasa and the cheese mixture. Stir to combine, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and butter until all of the breadcrumbs are coated. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta. Place into the preheated oven.
- Bake until bubbling and the breadcrumbs have browned, 10-12 minutes. Serve warm.
More Baked Pasta Dishes:
Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells
Beef and Blue Cheese Baked Spaghetti
Healthy Baked Pesto Rigatoni from Pinch of Yum
Mexican Baked Pasta from Aggie’s Kitchen
Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti from Gimme Some Oven
**This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item from Amazon from the link Taste and Tell receives a small commission. Thank you for supporting Taste and Tell through your purchases!**