Perfect for serving and eating with friends, this Strawberries and Cream Skillet Cobbler is down-home deliciousness.
If you were to ask me what one of my favorite parts of blogging would be, I would tell you it’s the community. Over the last 8 years of blogging, I have made some great, lifelong friends. I think that is why I am so passionate about food – it brings us together in a way that nothing else can.
Community is the reason I am here today, sharing this recipe for this Strawberries and Cream Skillet Cobbler. Today, some blogging friends and I are gathering together to celebrate the upcoming arrival of a new food blogging baby from Ashton of Something Swanky.
Funny enough, it’s actually been awhile since I’ve been to a baby shower in real life. But I do know that my favorite part of going to a baby shower is the time you get to sit around and just chat and catch up. And then there’s the food.
Let me tell you – oh, how I wish that we all lived close enough to throw Ashton a real baby shower. Can you even imagine how good the food would be?
But alas, we have to stick to virtual for now.
When I sat down to think about what I wanted to “make” for the shower, one thought came to my head. As much as I love fancy cookies or big layer cakes, I knew I needed to do something simple, something down home. Something I could picture eating while sitting around with my girlfriends. This dessert is something that may, at first glance, come across as boring. But I assure you, this Strawberries and Cream Skillet Cobbler is anything but boring.
I am a huge cobbler fan, and I had this crazy idea to add a creamy element to a cobbler that would be perfect for spring or summer. The berries have been so good lately, so I knew that was a good starting point. Now, the cream part, on the other hand, had me stumped for awhile. But after testing and trying new ideas, I came up with the perfect summertime cobbler recipe. The cream layer helps to cut back on the sweetness of the berries, so this isn’t a tooth-achingly sweet dessert. I thought it was perfect as is, but if you want to add an extra layer of yum, try putting a scoop of vanilla ice cream over the top.
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 6 cups strawberries, cut into halves or fourths
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Combine the strawberries with 4 tablespoons of the sugar, flour, lemon juice, and vanilla in a 9- or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Stir to coat, then let sit until the strawberries have started to release their juices, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until smooth. Beat in the cream, 1 tablespoon at a time. Drop the cream cheese mixture over the strawberry mixture by tablespoons. Use a spoon or spatula to try to spread the cream cheese mixture into a thin layer over the top of the strawberries.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 3 teaspoons of the sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the buttermilk and stir just until moistened - do not overmix. Add more buttermilk if the mixture is too dry.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the topping over the strawberries and cream mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar over the top.
- Bake until the fruit is tender and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Krispy Kreme Pie by Wine and Glue
How to Make Lemon Mini Cupcakes by Call Me PMC
Brown Sugar Butterscotch Bundt Cake by Layers of Happiness
Double Chocolate Cups by Diary of a Recipe Collector
Strawberries and Cream Skillet Cobbler by Taste and Tell
Paleo Blueberry Coconut Cupcakes by Food Faith Fitness
Blueberry Coconut Protein Pops by Capturing Joy
Strawberry Pretzel Salad Dip by Crazy for Crust
Creamy Lemon Angel Cake Roll by Yummy Healthy Easy
Blueberry Granola Gratin by Buns in My Oven
Strawberry & Cream Profiteroles by Lemons for Lulu
Dirt Cake by In Katrina’s Kitchen
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Trifles by Life, Love, and Sugar
S’mores Frappuccino Cupcakes by Inside BruCrew Life
Butterfinger Cupcakes by Six Sisters’ Stuff
Brookie Bars by It Bakes Me Happy
Carrot Cake Cupcakes by Beyond Frosting
Blueberry Pie Cheeseball by Mom On Timeout
No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Mousse by Heather’s French Press
Blueberry Cream Cheese Cookies with a Lemon Glaze by The Recipe Critic
Lemon Berry Pastries by I Wash You Dry
Lemon Berry Fruit Kabobs by Crumbs and Chaos
**This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item from Amazon from the link Taste and Tell receives a small commission. Thank you for supporting Taste and Tell through your purchases!**