The perfect fall recipe – this Sausage and Butternut Squash Slab Pie is filled with comfort! Sausage, butternut squash and cheese are a perfect match!
There are lots of things to love about fall. The changing leaves, the cooling temperatures, the pumpkin spice everything. But there is one ingredient I go crazy with every single year when fall rolls around. Some people can’t get enough pumpkin, and while I do love pumpkin, I really go crazy for butternut squash.
I know, it sounds like a strange thing to go crazy over. But I seriously can’t get enough. And if you can’t find a butternut squash recipe (or 10) in my archives that you want, I’m sure I’ll be sharing a new one in the next month or two that you will go crazy over. Because I already have lots more on deck.
But if you need a starting point, start with this Sausage and Butternut Squash Slab Pie. I actually made this a couple of months ago, but I haven’t stopped dreaming about it. This isn’t the first time I’ve paired sausage with butternut squash. I think they just go so well together. Add in some cheese, a little bit of marinara, and of course – the puff pastry, and you have a winner on your hands.
The cook time does look a little long for a weeknight, I know. But you can roast the squash ahead of time and that takes a lot of time off. In fact, I love to cut my butternut squash, roast all of it, and then just have the extras on hand to add to other meals throughout the week. Or throughout the next day or two, because it rarely lasts longer than that. 🙂
But really, this slab pie is super easy and packed with so much flavor. It truly is a perfect, comforting fall meal. If you are a butternut squash lover like me, you’ll want to keep this on the rotation all fall long. And if you aren’t a butternut squash lover, this might just convert you!
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- flour, for dusting
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (one 1.73-oz package)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅔ cup ricotta
- ⅓ cup prepared marinara sauce
- ½ cup packed basil leaves, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. In a bowl, combine the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir to coat. Arrange the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until the squash is tender and browned, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through. Once cooked, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Add the roasted squash and stir to combine.
- Combine the egg with 1 teaspoon of water in a small bowl and beat to combine. Lightly flour a surface and roll each of the puff pastry sheets into 10x12-inch rectangles.
- Transfer one of the puff pastry sheets to a parchment lined baking sheet. Leaving a 1-inch border around the puff pastry, spread the sausage and butternut squash mixture evenly over the puff pastry. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top, then dot with the ricotta. Drizzle the marinara over the top of the cheese, then sprinkle with half of the basil. Place the remaining sheet of puff pastry over the top, lining the edges. Press the edges together to seal, then use a fork to crimp the edges. Brush the egg mixture over the top of the pie. Cut 4 slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie until the pastry is puffed and golden, 20 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining basil. Cut into 4 pieces to serve.
SHOP THIS POST!
More Dinnertime Butternut Squash Recipes:
Around the Web:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!