This vegetarian Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Brown Butter and Rosemary is made for fall! It is filled with roasted butternut squash, pasta and brown butter, and is a great cold night dinner idea!
Photos Updated November 2014
I love butternut squash. Out of all the squashes, it’s probably my favorite. But man – why does it have to be such a pain to prepare???
I’m glad I had a little extra time when I made this recipe, because I honestly think it took me about half an hour and a sore hand just to dice that squash up!
But don’t let that deter you from making this dish. All of these flavors go so well together and form the perfect fall pasta dish. I kept thinking that sage would be a great substitution for the rosemary, as well – but the rosemary was delicious. And there is so much squash – it feels like a really healthy dish because I really think there was more squash than pasta in this dish!
- 1 (1½ lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½” cubes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz short cut pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, walnuts,or a combination of both
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, combine the cubed squash, onion, olive oil and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Pour out onto a baking sheet in one layer and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until roasted and tender, stirring once halfway through.
- When the squash is almost done, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Melt the butter, stirring occasionally, until it it turns golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. (The butter may foam up and pop so stand back when adding the lemon juice.)
- Stir the butter and ⅓ cup of the Parmesan into with the pasta. Add the butternut squash and stir to combine.
- Serve topped with the remaining Parmesan and the nuts.
SHOP THIS POST!
More Butternut Squash Pasta Dishes:
Around the Web:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!