Roasted red peppers and sweet potatoes come together in this creamy soup that is full of flavor.
That seems to be my biggest struggle lately. I feel like I spend the majority of my time chasing after things that should already be together, or already done.
So – I didn’t really plan on posting this recipe today. Mainly because I have another sweet potato recipe coming at you this week. (Although really – can you have too many sweet potato recipes? I think not!!) But also because I actually just made this yesterday, and I have a ton of older recipes that I was planning on sharing first.
But, as I went to type up the post for another recipe, I realized I didn’t know where I put the recipe. And since I was so unorganized, I couldn’t find where I put that recipe. So needless to say, there will be time spent today searching high and low for misplaced recipes. This is what I mean by spending all of my time chasing after things!!
But it’s not a huge loss, because it just means that I’m sharing this recipe sooner!! We had our monthly family dinner last night, and did soup and salad. This soup was my contribution. I really had no idea how it was going to turn out. I made it in the morning before church, then after church headed to dinner – not even thinking to try the soup to make sure it was ok.
Luckily, it all went well, and the soup was a hit. I did end up wanting a little more salt, but it was creamy and full of spice – and my brother in law couldn’t believe that it didn’t have cream in it. It does have a little bit of cream cheese in it, but besides that, this is actually full of good for you ingredients.
I’d say this is a great way to get through the rest of the winter!!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers, chopped, liquid reserved
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 - 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add in the red peppers, green chiles, cumin, salt and coriander. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved juice from the roasted red peppers, sweet potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice. Let the soup cool slightly.
- Place half of the soup into a blender along with the cream cheese. Process until smooth, then add back into the soup pot and heat through. Season with additional salt, if needed.
More Soup Favorites: