And easy broccoli and cheese soup that is done in 30 minutes!
*Photo Updated October 2012*
I’m probably going to be scorned for this recipe, but I just have to share because this is my favorite broccoli cheese soup recipe. So why would I get scorned? Well, it’s made with processed cheese (such as Velveeta) and I know that the food blogging world often looks down on products like this.
There is a bakery and cafe here, and if you have ever tried their broccoli cheese soup, this tastes just like it. It’s delicious!! And I’m not the only one to think so – it has 4 1/2 stars and 606 reviews on Allrecipes! Not only is it tasty, but it’s extremely easy and will feed a crowd. We’ve had this at family gatherings a few times because one batch feeds so many. So if you aren’t an ingredient purist, you should give it a try!!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb chopped fresh broccoli (you can use frozen as well)
- 3 cans chicken broth (43.5 oz)
- 1 pound processed cheese (such as Velveeta) cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Add in cheddar cheese. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.
- adapted from Allrecipes.com