An easy and hearty salad with tortellini.
Photo Updated November 2013
It was hot here yesterday. Really hot! I wanted to get some yard work done, so I went out in the morning, knowing that it was going to be a hot day, but an hour into it, I was already dripping with sweat. I lasted about 2 hours before I called it quit and decided to go inside for the day. You would think that with the heat (reaching 100 degrees F) I would park myself in front of the television with a cold beverage, but no, I get ambitious and want to cook all day. So, with the air conditioner on and all of the ceiling fans running, I set to work.
The main part of my baking day went to making a tart that I will post about tomorrow. I knew that I didn’t want something really hot for dinner, so I went looking through some salad recipes. I found this Herb Chicken Tortellini Salad that was not only a cold salad, but looked really fast and easy, since I already knew what I wanted to make for dinner. It is a pasta salad that would work well as a side, but I decided to serve it as our main dish, but I knew we needed something else. Knowing I was stuck in the house the rest of the day, I got ambitious and made some breadsticks. Making any sort of bread is ambitious because I don’t have a stand mixer. But I went for it anyway….
The salad was great. The only thing I did differently is that I didn’t add in the whole 10 oz bag of spinach. I had put about 2/3 in, and it looked like enough, so I stopped there. It worked really well as a main dish, and the best part was that I was able to finish it a little before hand and put it in the fridge until it was time to eat.
UPDATE – if you are looking for the breadstick recipe, you can find them HERE.
- 1 (9-oz) package Refrigerated Herb Chicken Tortellini – prepared according to package directions and chilled
- 1 (10 oz) bag ready to use spinach torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup diced mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 (6 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- ⅓ cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 c Caesar salad dressing
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine pasta, spinach, mozzarella cheese, artichokes, olives and roasted peppers in a medium bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.