Chicken drumsticks are glazed and baked with an easy, sweet hoisin glaze in this recipe for Hoisin Glazed Chicken.
If you would have asked me years ago if I liked hoisin sauce, I probably would have looked at you with a blank stare on my face. There are many reasons why I am so glad I started blogging many, many years ago, but one of them is that it has brought new ingredients and foods into my life.
I am glad that my palate has been expanded and that I have a love for all things food – both old and new. It sure does keep things exciting in the kitchen!!
This recipe is perfect for when you need to keep things simple in the kitchen. Only minutes of hands on time before this chicken goes into the oven, covered in a sauce of hoisin sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. So simple, in fact, that this recipe only has 5 ingredients. Busy night dinner win!!
What is Hoisin Sauce?
If you’ve never heard of Hoisin sauce, you’re not alone. You’d be surprised to find out that many of the Chinese dishes you’ve probably enjoyed before use Hoisin sauce as a glaze, in stir fries, and also as a dipping sauce. I would describe it as an Asian barbecue sauce. It’s thick consistency makes it a great choice for chicken, or any meat, for that matter.
How to Make Hoisin Glazed Chicken
- Preheat the oven and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Combine the hoisin sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. Reserve some of the sauce for the glaze, and stir flour into the remaining sauce.
- Add the drumsticks and stir until they are all coated.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and bake it until it is cooked through.
- Take the reserved glaze and baste the chicken with it to give it a final layer of sauce.
What to Serve on the Side
We’ll often keep things super simple with rice, fresh veggies, or quinoa. But sometimes I like a good side dish, so here are some that would be great:
More Recipes Using Hoisin Sauce
Looking for more free recipes?
Chicken drumsticks are glazed and baked with an easy, sweet hoisin glaze.
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 1/2 lb. chicken drumsticks
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the sauce for the glaze. Stir the flour into the remaining sauce. Add the drumsticks and stir until they are all coated.
- Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and baste with the remaining glaze.
slightly adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray June 2014
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 1036 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 67 g
- Cholesterol: 330 mg
Keywords: hoisin chicken