Taco seasoned ground beef is layered with tortillas, a sour cream mixture, and lots of cheese in this fun Tex-Mex dinner recipe.
I couldn’t let the day pass without giving you something Mexican-inspired. Although this isn’t really Mexican at all, and in reality, I’ve heard that the majority of Mexico doesn’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo anyway. Well, it’s all about the food for me!!
Mexican or Mexican-inspired – I’m not picky. And this one would definitely work for Taco Tuesday. This is a version of one of my favorite recipes here on Taste and Tell – the Chicken Tortilla Stack. I actually thought of doing this way back when I first made the original, but as it is with many of my recipe ideas lately, it got pushed to the bottom of the list.
I need to use the ideas from the bottom of that list more often, though, because this was so good. In fact, I just may like it better than the original. My husband and I fought over the leftovers (I won!) and I know that this will become a go-to in our house. It helps that it’s easy to make and I usually have most of the ingredients on hand.
I wouldn’t mind celebrating Cinco de Mayo every day if it looked like this!!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ cup water
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 tablespoon taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 (9-inch) flour tortillas
- shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced avocado and sour cream for serving
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the meat and stir to combine. Add the water and cook until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, taco sauce and taco seasoning.
- In another bowl, combine all three cheeses.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Working with one tortilla at a time, add to the hot oil to crisp up, flipping over when the first side gets lightly brown. Continue with the remaining tortillas, adding more oil when needed.
- To assemble the stack, place 1 tortilla on the bottom of the springform pan. Spread ⅕ of the sour cream mixture, followed by ¼ of the beef mixture and ⅕ of the cheese mixture. Add another tortilla, sour cream, beef and cheese. Repeat 2 more times, then lay the remaining tortilla on top. Spread with the remaining sour cream mixture and top with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the stack is heated through, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes for easier slicing. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced avocados and more sour cream, if desired.
More Tex-Mex Twists: