Originally posted November 13, 2007 – I thought I’d bring this back to the front since they are such a great treat for this time of year. Enjoy!
Did you know that the average weight gain during the holidays is 6-10 pounds? Yikes. I believe it though. I know that around Thanksgiving and Christmas, I give myself full reign to eat whatever I want. Hey, they only come once a year, right?? Well, in order to combat the holiday eating, my husband and I are trying to be really good until those 2 days hit. So what am I doing with a picture of a sweet treat up while I am talking about eating better? Is it because these are really low in fat and calories? Nope. Let me explain…
I am a firm believer in “everything in moderation.” I have tried different “diets” and always fail because I love food too much. And although I’m not my ideal weight or size, the thing that keeps my weight in check more than everything else is just being very conscious of what I am eating. And allowing myself a treat every once in awhile. And these treats are perfect for portioning. I made a batch, cut them into small squares and wrapped each individual serving. Then I hid them. Yep – out of sight, out of mind. If I would have left these on the counter, they would have been gone in 2 days. But they lasted us over a week. That’s my kind of diet!!
I’ve talked before of my love for recipes on packages. This one was no exception!! In fact, after seeing the recipe on the box, I couldn’t stop thinking about it for weeks. If you are a fan of Rice Krispie treats, you’ll love these!!
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Butter a 13x9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Add the 5 cups marshmallows, chocolate chips, corn syrup and butter to a large bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30-45 seconds, until melted and combined. Stir in the vanilla. Add in the cereal and stir to coat. Stir in the 1 cup of marshmallows.
- Press evenly into the prepared pan. Let stand for 1 hour before cutting into bars.
These can easily be done on the stove top, as well.
Refrigerate for a firmer bar.