Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich Recipe has a homemade sausage patty and a perfectly cooked egg, and then is topped with an easy Sriracha Cilantro Mayonnaise.
I was watching a video the other day by one of my favorite bloggers. She was answering twitter questions from readers, and one of those questions was what her favorite food was. When she answered “eggs”, she became even more of a favorite to me. 🙂
But really – eggs. I can never get enough. Especially when it comes to putting an egg on top of your dish.
This concept of “put an egg on it” is definitely not new to me. I’ve put eggs on top of pizza, toast, tostadas, waffles, burgers, and even pasta.
Can you say obsessed? I have totally been a fan of the #putaneggonit trend that is happening everywhere.
It seems like I’ve done it all already, but with today’s recipe, I wanted to go back to breakfast and make the perfect breakfast sandwich. This breakfast sandwich recipe starts off with homemade sausage patties. I’ve definitely used store bought patties before, but these are actually really easy, and I love that you get to customize the spices and flavors that go into them.
And let’s not forget the Sriracha mayonnaise. This brings so much flavor and a bit of heat to this breakfast sandwich recipe. I was originally going to just do sriracha and mayonnaise, but the cilantro was a last minute addition. And it was definitely a great addition!
Add your favorite kind of egg – for me that is a sunny-side up, but over easy or even scrambled would work here, and you have the perfect breakfast sandwich recipe. These are hearty enough to eat for dinner, even!
What is your favorite way to put an egg on it?
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ tablespoon ground sage
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon marjoram
- pinch of cloves
- 1-2 teaspoons oil
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 6 eggs
- 6 English muffins
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sriracha and minced cilantro. Refrigerate until needed.
- Place the pork in a medium bowl. Add the sage, syrup, salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram and cloves. Mix to distribute the spices evenly, then form into 6 equal sized balls. Flatten each ball into a thin patty, slightly larger than the English muffins.
- Place a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the oil. Place the sausage patties on the griddle and cook until the bottom side has browned, 1-2 minutes. Flip the patties, turn down the heat, and cover. Cook until cooked through, 5-8 minutes. When there is 1 minute left, add a slice of cheese to the top of each patty.
- While the patties or cooking, cook your eggs to your preference. I like sunny side up, but over easy or fried would be great, too!
- Toast the English muffins. Place a sausage patty on the bottom half of each muffin, then top with some of the avocado. Add an egg, and extra cilantro, if desired. Spread some of the Sriracha Cilantro Mayonnaise on the top half of the English muffin, and place on top of the sandwich. Serve immediately.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
I am in a working relationship with the American Egg Board, and this post has been sponsored. America’s egg farmers launched the good egg project to educate Americans about where eggs come from and encourage people to eat good and do good every day. They are committed to doing what’s right for their hens, the environment and their communities and are proud to provide Americans with affordable and nutritious food. Visit http://www.incredibleegg.org/good-egg-project/ to learn more. I’m so glad to be able to work with companies and organizations that I truly believe in. Thank you for supporting them, too.