My kids don’t really like hot dogs.
I know. Who’s kids are these?? I was somehow under the impression that every kid loved hot dogs. But it’s not true. It’s a myth. Abbi will occasionally take a couple of bites, but I don’t think she has ever even eaten a quarter of a hot dog. And Easton will barely touch them.
So when I make hot dogs, I pretty much make them for myself.
And then I had a brilliant idea. Since I wasn’t going to give up the hot dogs, I thought I’d combine them with something that I know my kids love. Mac & Cheese. At least this way, I could give them the mac & cheese, minus the hot dog, if they didn’t want to eat the hot dog. Then I get my hot dog, and they get their mac & cheese!
I didn’t think this recipe would be totally out in left field – you see mac & cheese recipes that have cut up hot dogs in them all of the time. But I have a feeling people are going to totally love these, or think that they are way over the top. Me? I thought they were amazing. The mac & cheese on it’s own is so creamy and delicious. And easy! Combine it with a hot dog, and you have 2 of my favorite “kid” foods combined into one. These babies are decadent and over the top – and one will probably be all that you need – but if you are like me, it will leave you with a big smile on your face!!
Looking for more free recipes?
2 of your favorite kid foods in 1! Hot dogs are topped with creamy, cheesy mac & cheese.
For the Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 lb macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
For the hot dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the evaporated milk and chicken stock and cook until thickened, stirring regularly. When thick, add in the mustard powder. Working in 3 batches, stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the pasta into the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a small amount of water to a boil in a shallow pan. Add the hot dogs, cover, and cook until the hot dogs are warmed through.
- To serve, place a hot dog in a bun and top with the mac & cheese.