So – I’m being a little bit selfish having a whole week devoted to hot dogs. And I’m going to tell you something that you might not believe.
My kids don’t really like hot dogs.
I know. Who’s kids are these?? I was somehow under the impression that every kid loved hot dogs. But it’s not true. It’s a myth. Abbi will occasionally take a couple of bites, but I don’t think she has ever even eaten a quarter of a hot dog. And Easton will barely touch them.
So when I make hot dogs, I pretty much make them for myself.
And then I had a brilliant idea. Since I wasn’t going to give up the hot dogs, I thought I’d combine them with something that I know my kids love. Mac & Cheese. At least this way, I could give them the mac & cheese, minus the hot dog, if they didn’t want to eat the hot dog. Then I get my hot dog, and they get their mac & cheese!
I didn’t think this recipe would be totally out in left field – you see mac & cheese recipes that have cut up hot dogs in them all of the time. But I have a feeling people are going to totally love these, or think that they are way over the top. Me? I thought they were amazing. The mac & cheese on it’s own is so creamy and delicious. And easy! Combine it with a hot dog, and you have 2 of my favorite “kid” foods combined into one. These babies are decadent and over the top – and one will probably be all that you need – but if you are like me, it will leave you with a big smile on your face!!
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Mac and Cheese Dogs
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 hot dogs 1x
2 of your favorite kid foods in 1! Hot dogs are topped with creamy, cheesy mac & cheese.
For the Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 lb macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
For the hot dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the evaporated milk and chicken stock and cook until thickened, stirring regularly. When thick, add in the mustard powder. Working in 3 batches, stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the pasta into the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a small amount of water to a boil in a shallow pan. Add the hot dogs, cover, and cook until the hot dogs are warmed through.
- To serve, place a hot dog in a bun and top with the mac & cheese.
Leave a Comment...