This easy Orzo Recipe with Italian Sausage and Peppers is a filling and quick meal – done in under 30 minutes! This is perfect for kids *and* adults!
If you love Italian Sausage, you’ll also love this Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers with Sweet Potatoes, this Savory Italian Tart, or this Bean, Sausage and Beef Burrito Recipe.
You all know I love a good weeknight dinner. I love, love, love it when I can get dinner on the table in 30 minutes. That is just one reason I love this orzo recipe – 30 minutes and done. And as if that wasn’t enough, I usually have all of these ingredients on hand, so this is a great dinner idea for when you don’t know what to make for dinner!
This recipe has everything you need in one dish – your protein, your grain, your vegetable. I don’t even serve this with a side dish!
This is a winning dinner idea – an orzo recipe that you all need to try!
What is Orzo?
Have you ever been confused by orzo? Is it rice? Or is it pasta?
It is most definitely pasta, although it does resemble rice. Made from flour, but shaped like rice, it’s easy to see how these can be confused. And it doesn’t help that orzo means barley in Italian, although most orzos on the market do not contain barley.
While orzo and rice are different, you will sometimes see orzo being used in risotto-like dishes, substituting in orzo for the rice.
How Do You Cook Orzo?
Since orzo is pasta, you cook it like you would cook most other pastas – by boiling it. Because it is small, you’ll want to make sure you use a colander that will catch the orzo. Most orzos will boil for 7-10 minutes for al dente.
For extra flavor, you can boil the orzo in chicken broth, like it is done in this recipe.
More Orzo Recipes
Orzo with Zucchini, Mushrooms and Sausage
Toasted Orzo Chicken Soup
Shrimp Orzo Skillet
Shrimp with Orzo and Tomato
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Orzo with Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
This easy Orzo with Italian Sausage and Peppers is a filling and quick meal – done in under 30 minutes! This is perfect for kids and adults!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 oz orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 oz pork sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, diced (about 2 peppers)
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the chicken broth and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the orzo in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up as it cooks. Once browned and cooked through, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the peppers and tomatoes. Continue to cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the orzo and stir to mix. Add in parsley. Add some of the cooking liquid, if needed, to loosen the pasta. Serve topped with the Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Giada’s Kitchen
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Calories: 511
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1884 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg
Keywords: orzo recipes, Italian Sausage Recipes
Leave a Comment...