Easy pumpkin cupcakes that start with a cake mix, topped with a rich brown sugar and cream cheese frosting.
**Also seen on the Cafe Zupas Blog**
Have you ever had one of those days when you find out that you need a treat, and need it right away? So it couldn’t be an “experiment” – it had to be something failproof.
I had one of those days a few days ago. I got a call from my sister, saying that it was my sister-in-law’s birthday and that we should take her out for lunch. Great idea! But I was not prepared! If you are a regular reader of my blog, you’ll know that I have been giving cupcakes to the birthday boy/girl in my family over the past 10 months. In my forgetfulness, or absentmindedness – I totally spaced her birthday, so I didn’t have a cupcake recipe planned to take to her. I knew I was going to have to go to the store since I probably didn’t have everything I needed on hand, and I only had a couple of hours before we met, so I knew I needed something I knew would work. I decided to just pick up a cake mix, since yes – they work every time! But I wanted something a little more, and I had remembered seeing a pumpkin cupcake made from a cake mix. After a quick internet search, which brought up lots of recipes, I decided on this one. It worked perfectly, was delicious, and I was right on time for the lunch with cupcakes for my sister-in-law!!
For the frosting, I used a recipe I used for my first blog post on this blog. I think about that frosting a lot because it was so delicious, but have never made it since. So I decided to take this opportunity to make it again, and I’m glad that I did, because it is my new favorite cream cheese frosting!
So if you are scrambling last minute for something to take to that Halloween party tomorrow night but you are running short on time, here’s your solution!
- 1 package spice cake mix
- 1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Paper-line or grease 24 muffin cups.
- Blend cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, oil and water in a large mixer bowl until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared cups, filling evenly.
- Bake for15-20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat until soft.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to soft peaks, then fold into cream cheese mixture.
- You may have to refrigerate for a few minutes for the frosting to stiffen up enough to pipe on cupcakes.