This Pineapple Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a zucchini cake with a twist. With pineapple and coconut that go throughout, this is a cake that is moist and addictive. It is topped off with a silky cream cheese frosting for the perfect finish.
Originally Posted August 13, 2009 – When I think of zucchini cake, I know I want one that is tender and moist. This zucchini cake is exactly that. The pineapple not only adds great flavor, but it keeps lots of moisture in the cake. And the cream cheese frosting is the perfect addition to this perfect summer cake! In my notes below, I mentioned that the cake was runny the first time I made it, but it wasn’t this time. I think it will depend on your zucchini. But it should work out either way – this cake is quite forgiving. If you are drowning in zucchini, this is one recipe you definitely want to make!
That darn Pioneer Woman. She gets me every time. First, she mentioned that she was going to make this cake, and I saved the recipe because it sounded good to me. And I do have a lot of zucchini. But then she made it. And she called it “a cake of such unfathomable deliciousness”, and I knew I couldn’t resist.
And now, I just may start saving all my zucchinis – just to make this cake over and over again. It really is that delicious. Thank you once again, Pioneer Woman, for for giving me yet another excuse as of why I still have a few pregnancy pounds left to lose!
Just a few notes:
- My cake batter was really runny – I was honestly afraid my cake wouldn’t set up. But it did. And the cake was super moist. But it didn’t rise up and dome like most cake recipes do.
- The frosting recipe makes a generous amount of frosting. I love cream cheese frosting, so this was no problem for me!
- I kept this cake in the fridge, and loved eating a slice cold.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste, optional
- 1 pinch ginger, optional
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (remove seeds if the zucchini is large)
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained (reserve juice in case you need it for the cake batter or frosting)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- splash of milk or pineapple juice, if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a small bowl, beat together the oil, eggs and vanilla. Add the mixture to the flour mixture, as well as the zucchini and pineapple. Stir until it all comes together. It might seem too dry to start, but continue to stir. If the batter is still dry, add a little bit of the pineapple juice to loosen it up.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and the butter together until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar, beat to combine, then beat in the vanilla. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Store the cake covered in the refrigerator.
SHOP THIS POST!
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!