A creamy rice, turkey and vegetable soup made in the slow cooker. A great way to use up leftover turkey!
Some days, I feel like I really have it together. Like on Saturday, I got up, made breakfast for my husband, breakfast for my daughter, and even managed to eat some breakfast myself. I managed to get things semi cleaned up. For lunch, my daughter requested mac and cheese, and I was able to whip up a quick homemade mac and cheese for her. I got some things done on the computer that had been sitting on my desk for a week, and fed my family a homemade dinner that night.
Let me say – this was not a typical day in my house. As I sit here now, typing, I look around my house and there is not a clean room in sight. Last night’s dinner was leftovers. I ate candy corn for lunch. Obviously, yesterday was not one of those “I have it all together” days. As much as I want to have a constantly clean house and 3 meals a day on the table, it just has not been happening a lot lately. Which is why I have been stock-piling easy recipes more than usual lately. And it doesn’t get any easier than this soup!!
I had seen this soup online, and when found myself wondering what to do with a bunch of turkey leftovers, I knew that this would be making an appearance on my table. I don’t normally like to do recipes that call for a certain product, because what if you fall in love with this soup and 3 years down the road, they stop making this rice? But, since I was feeling lazy, I went with the boxed rice mix. If I make this again, I’m definitely going to try doing a wild rice mix and adding my own seasonings, just so that this can be a soup that I can make with what I have in the house.
This is a great recipe if you have leftover turkey or chicken that you are trying to use up. Since I’m not the biggest fan of the texture that chicken gets in the slow cooker, this adaptation was perfect for me. Let the soup cook low and slow, and then add in the meat at the end. This got 2 thumbs up from us!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 package Long Grain Wild Rice Rice-a-Roni
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked, shredded turkey (or chicken)
- In a large slow cooker, combine the broth, water, rice and seasoning packet, carrots and celery. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir the flour mixture into the butter and cook for a minute or two. Whisk in the milk slowly, whisking to avoid clumps. Stir the cream mixture into the slow cooker. Add the turkey. Cook on low for 15 more minutes to heat through.
- Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com