Chorizo and mushrooms are topped with melted cheese in this Chorizo Mushroom Queso Dip Recipe. Serve with tortilla chips for a gooey and spicy appetizer.
We are at that time of year when when you are either inundated with all things pink and red and chocolate and roses, or the manly-man football food. While I do have some of the red and pink coming your way, today it’s all about the big game.
I love appetizers, and often have a craving to just have appetizers for dinner. But when I’m thinking football food, I have to push back all of the pretty appetizers that you might find at a baby shower and instead turn to the meaty, cheesy, ooey, gooey, finger licking good appetizers.
Don’t get me wrong – I won’t hate on you if you are serving up canapés and petit fours, but around these parts, the manlier it is, the better.
I call it man food, but truth be told – this Chorizo Mushroom Queso Dip Recipe was all about me. My husband isn’t big on super spicy, and the Mexican chorizo I’ve been able to find here is not exactly mild. But I really wanted to try this recipe, so I did – knowing full well that I would be the only one eating it.
Which can also be a bad thing, because me + a whole pan of melty cheese and spicy sausage = no self control.
If you aren’t big on the spicy factor, either, I’m guessing that an Italian sausage would work just fine in this dip. But no matter what you use, make sure you drain off the sausage as much as you can. With the sausage and the cheese, it can get a little greasy, which still tastes great 🙂 but can get a little bit messy.
I loved how something with so few ingredients could come together so easily to make a dip packed with flavor. And really – can you ever go wrong with melted cheese?? This is definitely my idea of the perfect football food, and we all know that the food is way more important than the game.
Now I just need to find a way to pretend that every Sunday is a football Sunday!
- 10 oz Mexican chorizo
- ½ lb mushrooms, quartered
- 6 oz Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
- scallions and cilantro, for topping
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet, cook the chorizo over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. When it starts to brown, add in the mushrooms and cook until completely cooked and the mushrooms are tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain off as much of the fat as possible.
- Top the chorizo and mushrooms with the cheese. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 10-12 minutes.
- Serve topped with the green onions and cilantro. Eat with tortilla chips.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
More delicious dip ideas: