French bread is stuffed with artichoke hearts, turkey and vegetables and then slathered with an easy basil sauce in this easy Turkey, Artichoke and Basil Sub that’s perfect for a picnic or for dinner.
I’ve had a garden before. And a big, beautiful basil plant that I could never keep up with. But then I moved, and since then, I’ve only tried growing it in pots. I just cannot get my basil to flourish in a pot. It grows tall and skinny, but the leaves are sparse.
Well, recently, I bought one of those basil plants that they sell in the produce department. I needed some basil for a recipe, and the plant was significantly cheaper than buying one of those itty bitty packages. I took my basil plant home and put it on my counter.
I used what I needed for my recipe, but there was still quite a bit left. I made sure I watered that little plant, and I kept it by my window. And to this day, that plant is still alive. And growing. I’m not sure those plants are meant to be kept in the same container on your kitchen sink, but for some reason, this is the little basil plant that could. It just keeps on giving!!
So in honor of that little, overachieving basil plant, I’m bringing you another sandwich that is perfect for summer. Perfect for picnics, for Sunday drives through the mountains, for an afternoon at the lake. This sandwich comes together quickly and feeds many. What more can you ask for??Print
Turkey, Artichoke and Basil Subs
French bread is stuffed with artichoke hearts, turkey and vegetables and then slathered with an easy basil sauce in this easy sandwich that’s perfect for a picnic or for dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16-oz) loaf unsliced French bread
- 1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 1/2 lb deli sliced peppered turkey
- 1 medium or 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup lightly packed baby spinach, torn
- In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, oil, Parmesan, vinegar, mustard and garlic. Process until mostly smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Cut the French bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread halves, leaving about 1/2 – 1 inch shell. (Reserve the bread and turn into bread crumbs, or give them to your kids to snack on like I did! 🙂 ) Spread the basil mixture on the inside of both halves. Layer the artichoke hearts on the bottom layer, followed by the cheese, then the turkey, tomatoes, and then top with the spinach. Place the top half of the bread on top and cut into 6 servings.
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Treasured Recipes
More Picnic Perfect Sandwiches:
Around the Web:
Garlic Chicken and Artichoke Sub Sandwiches from Miss in the Kitchen
Guacamole Chicken Torta Sandwiches from Favorite Family Recipes
Basil Pesto Chicken Sandwich from The Recipe Critic