Fresh tomatoes and zucchini shine in this easy salad perfect for a summer side dish in this Zucchini and Tomato Salad Recipe.
The garden is now officially gone. The temperatures have really dropped here, and we’ve had several nights below freezing. And since my husband still can’t do any yard work since the knee replacement, his parents came over on Saturday to help mow the lawn. While my father-in-law was mowing, my mother-in-law went to town on the garden. I joined her at the end once the baby went down for her nap, but she really did the majority of the work. Now there are just a few piles of dead plants and stray cucumbers and tomatoes strewn across the ground. I have to admit, it’s kind of a relief for it to be gone. But I sure am going to miss those fresh veggies!!
Before it was completely gone, I snatched a few of the remaining tomatoes, hoping to have an excuse to use them. That excuse came when the in-laws invited us over for dinner the next night. So to celebrate the summer’s harvest, and to give one last good-bye, I made this Zucchini and Tomato Salad Recipe. I loved how simple this tomato salad recipe is, yet it’s packed with flavor and definitely not boring. It sure was a delicious way to celebrate, and now I can’t wait to do it all over again next year!
- 4 small or 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 slices red onion, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Fill a large bowl with water and ice.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the zucchini and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice water. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with the salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, tomatoes and red onion slices.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, thyme, salt, hot pepper sauce and garlic. Shake to combine, then pour over the vegetables. Stir to coat. Serve right away, or chill until serving.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!